Love My Fish

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Kirsty Knox, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Kirsty Knox

Kirsty Knox New Member Member

Hi all. I'm 36 from Scotland. Have only started fish keeping within the past year. I started with a beginner 12L cold water tank but have upgraded to a 25/30L Tropical. I have a lovely variety of both cold and Tropical fish. I am growing to be quite an enthusiast hence joining this forum. I look forward to speaking to other fellow fish keepers. No doubt you may be hearing aloof from me....been told I like to ask questions!!

Oh, can anyone help me with being able to edit my profile details please. Can't find how t do it. TIA

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Welcome! :)

In order to edit your personal details, you have to click on your name at the top of the site which will bring down a list of things and you have to click on personal details, and after that you should be able to edit your personal details.

3. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Thank you. Will try it now.

4. MaddieTaylah

Hope it works.

5. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

It did, thank you

6. MaddieTaylah

You're welcome.

I just looked at your profile details by the way and it says you aren't aware of the nitrogen cycle. You need to know about this in order to be successful with your aquarium so I strongly recommend you read up about it.

7. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

I knew how to do water changes and why but not really read into it. Thanks again for the advice. I also have a test kit.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes are not the same as the nitrogen cycle. I really recommend reading up about the nitrogen cycle as it is essential to successful fish keeping

9. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Ah ok thanks. I need all the education I can get . Sure will learn as I go along.

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Fish keeping is one of those hobbies where everyone is still learning

11. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

:emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

13. leviathan

leviathan New Member Member

Welcome to the obsession

14. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ha! Love it. Very true.

Welcome!

15. saket

saket Valued Member Member

lol so true! :)

16. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

Thanks everyone. Hmmm, can any of you tell me what's going on if a fish is very near the surface and not doing much but looks gasping for air?? I think it's on the way possibly? TIA

17. 2211Nighthawk

What kind of fish and is there a filter. Gasping 90%of the means he's not getting enough oxygen or there is something worse off. That is defiantly something to jump on, it does not take long for lack of oxygen to kill fish.

18. saket

saket Valued Member Member

lack of oxygen or bad water and bad water parameters are the causes of this. i suggest you 50% water change quickly and do you have a bubbler?

19. OP
    OP
    Kirsty Knox

I was going to get a bubbler but I was told that they are quite noisy so didn't end up bothering getting one. I recently got a new filter. It was fitted my the staff from the aquarium where I buy my fish and equipment. I will do a water change now. Thanks for your reply.

It is a white fantail. I recently got a new filter suitable for my tank so could it be something to do with filter or something else?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  20. 2211Nighthawk

What size filter, what size tank, and does it stir up the surface water at all? Also, my goldy will take a few gulps of air but he's not gasping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice