Love is in the water!

1. onelovie Member Member

So last week I came home from work and found some eggs in my 10 gallon tank (they haven't hatched). Today I came home from work and found two baby swordtails in my 55 gallon tank! I did not have a breeder box so I captured one and suspended it in my fishnet so I could drive 40 miles to the pet store and pick one up! Got home, put him in the breeder box, checked in on him a little bit later and he had escaped the breeder box. Fortunately, I found him again hiding in a plant, so he is safely back in the breeder box, hopefully it is secure this time. After that little escapade, he's got his name: Houdini! How a baby could escape a box specifically designed to hold babys is beyond me. I'm hoping to relocate the other baby, maybe he's just hiding in a plant or in the rocks. I'm not sure what's in my water, but this is fun!!!

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

LOL, finally some babies! Good luck, mommy! :)

3. JustinT Initiate Member

Very clever with the Houdini thing! Perfect name. Congratulations on the kids :)

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes findinf fry is exciting, just makes you want more ;)
    Carol

5. onelovie Member Member

One week later, I found the second fry swimming in the tank! I was able to catch him and put him in the breeder box with Houdini for safe growing! I can't believe it! Both babies are doing well. ;D

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats great!! Good job!!
    Carol

7. onelovie Member Member

Well, I've had the two babies for three weeks now and they are doing very well. My next question is, how long should I keep them in the breeder box before setting them free in the big tank? I have a couple of large goldfish, one of which will eat anything edible in the tank so I don't want to let them go too soon. I would be a little upset if one of them got eaten at this point!!!
    Thanks!!!