Love is in the water!

1. o

onelovie Valued Member Member

So last week I came home from work and found some eggs in my 10 gallon tank (they haven't hatched). Today I came home from work and found two baby swordtails in my 55 gallon tank! I did not have a breeder box so I captured one and suspended it in my fishnet so I could drive 40 miles to the pet store and pick one up! Got home, put him in the breeder box, checked in on him a little bit later and he had escaped the breeder box. Fortunately, I found him again hiding in a plant, so he is safely back in the breeder box, hopefully it is secure this time. After that little escapade, he's got his name: Houdini! How a baby could escape a box specifically designed to hold babys is beyond me. I'm hoping to relocate the other baby, maybe he's just hiding in a plant or in the rocks. I'm not sure what's in my water, but this is fun!!!

2. Isabella

Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

LOL, finally some babies! Good luck, mommy! :)

3. J

JustinT New Member Member

Very clever with the Houdini thing! Perfect name. Congratulations on the kids :)

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes findinf fry is exciting, just makes you want more ;)
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    o

One week later, I found the second fry swimming in the tank! I was able to catch him and put him in the breeder box with Houdini for safe growing! I can't believe it! Both babies are doing well. ;D

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats great!! Good job!!
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    o

Well, I've had the two babies for three weeks now and they are doing very well. My next question is, how long should I keep them in the breeder box before setting them free in the big tank? I have a couple of large goldfish, one of which will eat anything edible in the tank so I don't want to let them go too soon. I would be a little upset if one of them got eaten at this point!!!
    Thanks!!!