Love For Clownfish?

CrazedHoosier
Is it a beginner thing to love clownfish a lot? They are by far my favorite saltwater fish I've discovered (along with gobies, yellow tangs & jawfish). There are so many of them, though! I relate the clownfish family to the gourami family so that I can understand the differences and similarities better. Anyway, there's meant to be a question here. Of maroon, cinnamon, tomato, clarkii, percula and ocellaris, which is actually the most peaceful? I've heard different things from different people. I've heard the tomato is very peaceful - which I'm not sure about. I've also heard that all of them can be little terrors. I don't really have a favorite clownfish at this point because I think they're all very beautiful and special in their own ways. I'm just looking for reasons to rule certain ones out of my field of (beginner) care.

AWheeler
I always wanted a blue mandarin dragonette....it's actually why I decided to change a couple of my tanks to sw tanks. I was so upset when I read everywhere that they were hard to keep that I made it my mission to figure out how to keep one thriving as a sw beginner. Honestly, my kids wanted the clowns, but they've grown on me quite a bit. They actually eat frozen food right out of my hand! I chose to go with the ocellaris clowns because they stayed smaller, they seem the more "peaceful" out of the ones that i've read about. So far, they are. I've had them for little over a month and they do not go after the other fish in the tank, they stick together and I've already seen the bigger of the fish sort of "go after" the smaller of the two and the smaller one do the submission dance. I might have just picked the best ones to get though, because I saw them sort of pairing up and swimming around in the lfs that I got them from.
I'm thinking that the tomato ones can get bigger than the typical 3-4 inches...that is something to think about for sure they are going to want to have room to swim around. I happened to find a mandarin that was eating frozen food, and I'm also breeding copepods in a 20 gal tank (He is getting FAT!)
Other than that all I can tell you is to pre-plan all the stocking and research, research, research!

CrazedHoosier
I always wanted a blue mandarin dragonette....it's actually why I decided to change a couple of my tanks to sw tanks. I was so upset when I read everywhere that they were hard to keep that I made it my mission to figure out how to keep one thriving as a sw beginner. Honestly, my kids wanted the clowns, but they've grown on me quite a bit. They actually eat frozen food right out of my hand! I chose to go with the ocellaris clowns because they stayed smaller, they seem the more "peaceful" out of the ones that i've read about. So far, they are. I've had them for little over a month and they do not go after the other fish in the tank, they stick together and I've already seen the bigger of the fish sort of "go after" the smaller of the two and the smaller one do the submission dance. I might have just picked the best ones to get though, because I saw them sort of pairing up and swimming around in the lfs that I got them from.
I'm thinking that the tomato ones can get bigger than the typical 3-4 inches...that is something to think about for sure they are going to want to have room to swim around. I happened to find a mandarin that was eating frozen food, and I'm also breeding copepods in a 20 gal tank (He is getting FAT!)
Other than that all I can tell you is to pre-plan all the stocking and research, research, research!
I've pretty much decided the stock, but I'm trying to see which clownfish would work well for me. I'd like a clownfish pair, pajama cardinalfish pair, and some type of goby. They'd all be in a 32 gallon biocube. Not sure if I'll add corals or not.

AWheeler
You are prob going to want to stick with the clown that stay smaller then

CrazedHoosier
You are prob going to want to stick with the clown that stay smaller then
So the ocellaris?

AWheeler
I know they stay smaller, but other ones do as well. You'll want to just make sure they don't go past the 3-4 inch mark when you pick out what ones to get.

SecretiveFish
Generally speaking Ocellaris clownfish are the more peaceful of the clownfish (I don't know about ClarkI clownfish).

Tomato clownfish become terrors to tank mates once they mature (had this happen)... as do cinnamon clownfish (I was given this fish, would not have purchased) ... although maroon clownfish are probably the most aggressive! I have seen how aggressive maroon clownfish become and have never purchased one as a result.

I assume this is a one off because I have other ocellaris clownfish that are all fine, but I had a naked clownfish that was just a bully... She went after her mate of 6 months with intent to kill, attacked all the other fish in the tank, and was bitting my platygra! I finally had to remove her and take her to the LFS. I have a snowflake ocellaris clownfish and a gladiator ocellaris clownfish that are peaceful fish so who knows what was wrong with that naked clownfish!

CrazedHoosier
Generally speaking Ocellaris clownfish are the more peaceful of the clownfish (I don't know about ClarkI clownfish).

Tomato clownfish become terrors to tank mates once they mature (had this happen)... as do cinnamon clownfish (I was given this fish, would not have purchased) ... although maroon clownfish are probably the most aggressive! I have seen how aggressive maroon clownfish become and have never purchased one as a result.

I assume this is a one off because I have other ocellaris clownfish that are all fine, but I had a naked clownfish that was just a bully... She went after her mate of 6 months with intent to kill, attacked all the other fish in the tank, and was bitting my platygra! I finally had to remove her and take her to the LFS. I have a snowflake ocellaris clownfish and a gladiator ocellaris clownfish that are peaceful fish so who knows what was wrong with that naked clownfish!
Hopefully someone on here will talk about the clarkiI a bit more. Someone told me about them before, but I didn't think to ask specifics. If the clarkiI is also pretty aggressive, I'll just wait to get them when I have a larger tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DocRick
Replies
Views
Francine
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views