Loud noises!

1. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

So, I was doing my water change yesterday and had to disconnect the outlet tube on my SunSun 303 (again!) in order to get it primed. I got the tank filled, the filter primed, and was adjusting the position of the outlet nozzle on my filter when the tube popped off. Hello, water.
    I had to drop the tube on the floor so I could unplug the power strip before something really bad happened, which I was able to do. I then took everything out of the tank, dried it out with about ten towels and an old hairdryer, and put everything back together again.
    Now, I periodically hear the SunSun making loud suction noises. Any thoughts on what that might be? It can't be air in the tubes. At least I don't think it can be air in the tubes. Honestly, it was a nightmare water change before all this happened. I can't keep sand clean for anything. I know all the tricks and they don't work. Tearing the tank down is a very viable option after the last 24 hours.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tried tilting the filter from side to side while on to get rid of any trapped air?

3. mg13 Well Known Member Member

yes, and you won't have too tear it down.

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

No, I meant tear it down out of frustration. Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. This isn't. It's a money pit.

Thanks, Riv. I actually did. Now I'll have to just take that quick disconnect off and suck on the valve, because I do think it's some sort of issue with an air pocket. Here's hoping I don't get a mouth of tank water.

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Wow! Sounds very much like my place Adam55 except not once but like 4 x's! :(

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It is! See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Issues like what you and I both had yesterday. It's just not worth it to me anymore. Anyway, thanks. I hope your situation is back under control.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about all your stress. I know what you mean about the hobby becoming a money pit :p i've been hanging on just barely by hiring people to come and take care of my fish since I am out of commission for at least another five weeks.

I am glad that I stuck with my old low-tech HOB filters instead of getting a canister. I don't have a lot of space and no easy access to sinks. My UV sterilizers have been a real pain in the neck as they need to be rinsed out often and then are prone to leak when put back into place. The lab assistant who came to help me had to come back a second day and work on it off and on for another 2 hours to get the last sterilizer going well. Sigh.

Hope things get less stressful for you. We'd hate for you to leave the fish keeping scene.

8. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Actually I do the opposite. I don't suck on the tube. I blow on the tube that's just returning water to the tank so that what is left in the tube is mostly air. This almost always results in an instant prime. You have to lift the shut off valve higher than the tank before opening it to blow air so that water will not rush out when opening the valve. You may need to stand on a stool or something if you are short.

9. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Oh no, you don't!!!

Of all the first or frequent responders to posted threads on FishLore you are usually the most knowledgeable and reliable. You cannot give up the hobby! Ask your girlfriend to make some shabu shabu tonight, or make it for her yourself, have a nice dinner and get yourself a better canister if you have to.

You have been a great asset in my aqua journey. I trust your posts. I know my thanks won't stop the noise your canister makes, but hopefully it will stop the pernicious growth of your desire to leave our community.

10. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Hey! I second this :party0011: We need you here you know. Besides, I don't like sand either and I'd miss your company :;bananabeer

11. virusmk Well Known Member Member

@ Adam55 i do have same problems with my cheap Aquanova filter. A lot of times air gets traped inside the canister and ocassionaly it gets noisy but it disapiars in a day or two. On countrary i never have experienced anything similar with my eheim.
    I run 2 filters in my 80g.

I guess this is one of prones of having cheap filter.