Loud Marineland Penguin 350

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My filter has been really loud for the last couple of days and I ended up removing the cap to the motor to see if that had something to do with it. Here’s what I found.

This is what a normal motor looks like:
EE52614F-D4C4-4B32-A15B-5951551C4132.jpeg

This is what mine looked like:
AEDFFF65-3EFF-4A2E-AD27-A53E66E145D0.jpeg

It gave off a strong burnt plastic smell, so it was forsure burning up when it was on. The one I used was brand new, it was used for maybe 5-6 months and already started failing. Luckily I have 3 other of these same filters stored away, so I ended up swapping it and tossing the old one.

(it was always primed before turning on) so unsure what could’ve caused it.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Call Marineland and let them know about this. On the very rare occasions I had an issue they were quick to help.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I concur with @Thunder_o_b , having a good picture like that is a valuable resource for Marineland to send to their QC/QA people in their design and manufacturing departments.

Definitely looks like the water proofing epoxy has been exposed to some increased heat over a period of time.

With it being less than a year old, Marineland should send you another along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the defective one back. They should take it apart and find the cause of it, so they can improve quality control. They can probably narrow it down to the batch it came from.

Electrical fires are bad. I've had to put them out on occasion, and they are not always fun to do so!

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I concur with @Thunder_o_b , having a good picture like that is a valuable resource for Marineland to send to their QC/QA people in their design and manufacturing departments.

Definitely looks like the water proofing epoxy has been exposed to some increased heat over a period of time.

With it being less than a year old, Marineland should send you another along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the defective one back. They should take it apart and find the cause of it, so they can improve quality control. They can probably narrow it down to the batch it came from.

Electrical fires are bad. I've had to put them out on occasion, and they are not always fun to do so!
Okay, then I’ll try emailing them later today to show the pictures.

I don’t like saving broken things, so as soon as I opened up the motor cap, it went straight to the trash. I wasn’t planning on checking it out, but the noise was unbearable, especially at night.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom