Loud Aquaclear 30

Zarich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got an aquaclear 20 for christmas. Hooked it up to my 10 gallon and found it to be unpleasantly loud. I returned it and found they had the 30 on sale for the same price so I picked it up. The 30 was quieter at first, but also has gotten loud. I took it apart, cleaned the pump housing, lubed the shaft, checked the impeller. It's still loud.

I have an aquatech (walmart brand) that I got for $10 and it is much quieter than this thing.
Is there any way to quiet it down? I don't want to return it again because I finally have the filter media seasoned. I would have to start all over.

Oh.. and this is with the lid removed. I can't use the lid because it becomes way to loud to even be in my living room.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can try pouring some stress coat all over the impellar, I would say lube the impeller shaft but you've done that already. Normally within 2 weeks or so they quiet down after breaking in and getting bio film all over the internal parts.

Also, make sure it is level.

Zarich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's level. It is also an all glass rimless and I wonder if that contributes to the noise. I had an internal on it before that was dead silent, but a pain to keep clean.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It may, if you want you could make kind of a "saddle" for it to sit on with a rag and if that solves it you could make a permanent one out of rubber or plastic.

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try taking the lid off. The only time mine made any kind of noise was the lid rattling. I have Aquaclear filters on all of my tanks. I run them without the lids but you can put the lid back on and brace it down by wrapping a rubberband around it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like was said, it can take them a little time to break in.

What kind of a noise is it?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel your pain.....

I also have the AQ 30 for my QT tank and its always been loud ( impeller sticking or vibrating ) and no amount of lube helps ( well it does for a few weeks ) but then as soon as I clean the filters ( taking out bio and sponge and rinsing them ) it starts all over again.
My Fluval edge which basically is the same filter ALSO does this off and on..... I just have not had good luck with these filters and I really like the concept ( biomax, sponge, etc ) but honestly, I will take my Aqueon filters over it any day! Especially since my Aqueon primes it self and I don't need to fill it up each time I do a water change....

Also, a rubber band seems logical but why should you need to do this if it was working properly?
I wish there was other fixes from the manufacturer. I can't seem to get an answer from them when I tried.

Zarich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I fixed it. Maybe this will help others.
I took the pump motor off. removed the impeller assembly.
Cleaned everything thoroughly (no lube)
I found that on the bottom side on the impeller assembly there was a depression around the hole. I had a bit of the plastic that needed to be removed (it was a tiny flap piece) that was inside the depression and I believe causing my impeller noise.
My filter is now silent.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's usually something stupid like that. Glad you worked it out and are happy.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had one once that had a nick in an impeller blade the size of a pin head that made all kinds of ruckus, it doesn't take much, glad you got it worked out.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the info and glad you got yours fixed. I gotta ask though, is it typical for this brand of filters to have so many little problems like that? Gosh, it seems to me it should just be plug and play without all of these "minor" adjustments. Just sayin!

Mandine

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I work at a LFS and we sell Aqua clears all day long in all sizes and even use them here in some of our tanks. On average I see WAY less problems with them than success stories. I've even owned 3 in different sizes and never once had an issue. So I'd hope (unfortunately) that you are just having a couple bad experiences with them. The company that makes them, Hagen, is really good and usually great when it comes to fixing issues or replacing broken parts. I hope in the future you have better luck with them because I really love their filters!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mandine said:
I work at a LFS and we sell Aqua clears all day long in all sizes and even use them here in some of our tanks. On average I see WAY less problems with them than success stories. I've even owned 3 in different sizes and never once had an issue. So I'd hope (unfortunately) that you are just having a couple bad experiences with them. The company that makes them, Hagen, is really good and usually great when it comes to fixing issues or replacing broken parts. I hope in the future you have better luck with them because I really love their filters!
Thats the story I have always heard and having 2 of them already ( with minor issues described above ) it makes me wonder if I just got "unlucky" with the ones I have.
I have heard Hagen being very reputable so maybe what I need to do is write to their customer service and see if they will put that theory to the test.
Thanks for your input!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads