Loud Aeration

Joep606

Reaction score
So I have a 10 gallon tank, a pump, and one airstone connected to the pump by a tube.

My pump seems to be quite loud...and I don't know why. It is bearable, but there is the constant hum in the background. Does anyone know a way to quite the humming noise? Thanks.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can try placing it on something like carpet or a paper towel to reduce the vibration it causes on whatever it sits on, but I don't know of any air pumps that don't have some kind of hum.

Joep606

Reaction score
Hmmm, ya, alright thanks, I'll definitly try that.

I guess I'm just spoiled, when I had a fish tank a few years back, the pump and aerator were built into the same unit, so it didn't make much noise.

Oh well. :-[

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also try a towel/ It has the same effect as the paper towel or carpet.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I used mine I set it on a small pillow, I also found I had to tighten the screws on it after half a year.

cyber99fish

Reaction score
Simple. It's the back pressure that makes these pumps run louder. Get a small plastic three way valve and a few feet of tubing. Run a 6 inch piece of tube to the valve then a long line out to the airstone or whatever. Now on the leftover valve opening, run another 6 inch length of tube and leave open.

Adjust the airflow so the stone still produces bubbles but let bout half of the air out the open tube. listen for the results, a more quiet pump.

I also recommend a checkvalve on the line going to the tank in case of power loss or pump failure. 8)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom