Lotus pods, pear pods, eucalyptus pods, etc?

BlueRaccoon

Hello!
I'm thinking about putting these pods, or some of them, in my tank. I love the natural look they provide, and their antifungal properties. How will these effect the tank? Do they rot? How long would they last? Will they mess with water parameters?

Thank you!

BlueRaccoon

Depends on your KH.

Of course, but the biofilms provide the positive effects.

I got some in my tank for a year without much changes.

See first question.
Thank you! So I'm assuming it will affect the hardness of the water?

MacZ

Thank you! So I'm assuming it will affect the hardness of the water?
No. Scratch that assumption from your mind. Botanicals (wood, leaves whatever) only affect KH directly and also only when it is low (< 2°) anyway, resulting in an effect on pH. Again: Only if the KH is already low. Above a certain KH it doesn't affect any parameters significantly.
All the while GH is completely unphased.

Read up - It's all in the Manual.

BlueRaccoon

No. Scratch that assumption from your mind. Botanicals (wood, leaves whatever) only affect KH directly and also only when it is low (< 2°) anyway, resulting in an effect on pH. Again: Only if the KH is already low. Above a certain KH it doesn't affect any parameters significantly.
All the while GH is completely unphased.

Read up - It's all in the Manual.
Thank you! Great to know.

BlueRaccoon

MacZ , I've read that I shouldn't add live plants while I am cycling the tank because it can stop the cycle from completing. Would adding the above items affect the cycle in anyway? Is it best to wait until it's done?

MacZ

Nonesense, live plants and botanicals together help stabilizing a tank. You can plant it and add the botanicals. No problem.
Just one thing: Take it slow with the botanicals, they can sometimes deplete oxygen. You can add an airstone for the first few days if you want to be careful.

And please do not tag me, ok? I will see a post when I see it. Thanks! ;)

BlueRaccoon

Thanks for the information! Will do!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindyVBPets
Replies
Views
Wormwood
Replies
Views
SotaAquatics