Lots of white flakes in my tank very suddenly

aquapet

How odd. I woke up and today there appears to be colorless (white) flakes of skin or some mystery material in my tank. I thought that a flake looked like skin from my dragon goby, but I can't find any legitimate info on shedding or molting for this guy. I have a green spotted Puffer and blue spot Gourami in here as well, they showed no visible signs of flaking and neither did my goby when I disturbed him in his cave. No son coming off him or anything, though I disturbed a fair amount of flakes which "snowed" all over. They reminded me of white water logged flake food. However my Gourami usually eats all of the food I provide and I don't overfeed. I disturbed one actual flake of food that was caught in the goby cave, and it was red like usual. The amount of white flakes drifting around the tank today far surpass the amount I fed the Gourami last evening, and I watched him eat as I usually do.

Is this coming from my filter?
It's a brand new 3 month old marineland 360 canister filter.

My tank is a 55 gal Brackish (1.009) tank, all parameters are at 0ppm after using apI master test kit.

I did place new decorations in the tank about three days ago. All petsmart top fin decorations. I rinsed them.

I just don't know if I should be concerned.I thought that the flakes looked like they had the same pattern as my gobies stomach. But he looked great, as I said. ..

I will upload pics when I get home. I can't seem to do them from my phone because they are too large.

JRC3

Idk, should that gourami be in that BW?

About the white flakes, how do you mix you BW.?

reddbelly

Sometimes a thin layer of...something (lol) can accumulate on the insides of the hoses for the canisters. Every now and then chunks of this can break loose from the return side and be distributed throughout the tank. Also, I'm not familiar with bw, but isn't salt added to the water? If so, make sure the equipment you have can handle the levels of salt added. Like I said I'm not familiar with bw though.

ryanr

I did place new decorations in the tank about three days ago. All petsmart top fin decorations. I rinsed them.

I'd be looking at these.... some materials won't handle salt.

LeoDiaz

Idk, should that gourami be in that BW?

About the white flakes, how do you mix you BW.?

Aren't gourami freshwater not brackish

Abyss

Sometimes hard water or other calcium build up can happen in tubing or inside the canopy if u have one, if left to dry it can start flaking off and fall into the tank

Rivieraneo

How odd. I woke up and today there appears to be colorless (white) flakes of skin or some mystery material in my tank. I thought that a flake looked like skin from my dragon goby, but I can't find any legitimate info on shedding or molting for this guy. I have a green spotted Puffer and blue spot Gourami in here as well, they showed no visible signs of flaking and neither did my goby when I disturbed him in his cave. No son coming off him or anything, though I disturbed a fair amount of flakes which "snowed" all over. They reminded me of white water logged flake food. However my Gourami usually eats all of the food I provide and I don't overfeed. I disturbed one actual flake of food that was caught in the goby cave, and it was red like usual. The amount of white flakes drifting around the tank today far surpass the amount I fed the Gourami last evening, and I watched him eat as I usually do.

Is this coming from my filter?
It's a brand new 3 month old marineland 360 canister filter.

My tank is a 55 gal Brackish (1.009) tank, all parameters are at 0ppm after using apI master test kit.

I just don't know if I should be concerned.I thought that the flakes looked like they had the same pattern as my gobies stomach. But he looked great, as I said. ..

I will upload pics when I get home. I can't seem to do them from my phone because they are too large.

Maybe a price tag you left on one of the decorations ? Do you have ceramic rings in your filter ?

aquapet

I'm sorry I took so long with the photos, I couldn't upload them from my phone for some reason, it told me the files were too large.

JRC3- I got these fish in an established brackish setup from a girl who could no longer afford the tank and sold it. The gourami is an adult, a little over 4 inches long, and has been happy and healthy for several months. I know mollies who are large enough can acclimate to full saltwater, so I imagine gouramis are probably capable of adjusting similarly. I mix the water and salt in a bucket and pour it in.

reddbelly- I noticed the build-up in an older tank. It's more like like a wood texture though, this is very thin stuff and my tank wouldn't have the build-up in a brand new filter, I'm thinking. Plus, the tubes are clear, and I can see that they don't have build-up inside.

ryanr- I looked up the decorations ability to intermingle with salt. Only one decoration was criticized for fading over time, otherwise all the decorations said they were for salt or freshwater on their tags.

LeoDiaz- Lots of tropical freshwater fish are also surprisingly compatible with brackish water, in my experience. A little research can tell you about what salinity parameters the fish can tolerate.

Abyss- I noticed that with my other tank, but the canopy is too new (December) to have that kind of build-up yet.

Rivieraneo- Unless I missed an extra (or hidden) one, I got the tags removed beforehand. They were all cardboard, and there weren't any stickers as far as I could tell.

20140118_152642.jpg

20140118_152702.jpg

20140118_152835.jpg

Anyway, after this outbreak of weird white particles, the filter collected them all up (they're actually mostly stuck in the head) and it stopped. I think that it perhaps came from inside my or .

All three fish have been happy and healthy and eating well. I did a water test today, here are the results:
Salinity: 1.0095 gravity (12.5 ppt)
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: less than 0.12 ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm (+1 or 2)

Thank you everyone for your input. Just to help clarify on the fish and tank, the fish are older, another girl kept them in brackish water around 1.010 for however long before they were re-homed to me. I kept them in their original 25 gal until some close brushes with ammonia poisoning with my GSP, so I recently established a new 55 gallon tank in mid December 2013. I have even newer decorations I purchased and placed in early January. I believe it was something that came from the inside of my new hollow decorations, despite it's very organic appearance, was probably something like tissue paper.

Please feel free to comment/ask further, however, especially with the addition of the pictures.

Rivieraneo

I hoped we could have figured out what the crystals were, almost looks like salt that has recrystallized again or pieces of glue used on decorations. Good to hear your tank is thriving, hope to see more pictures.

kevymd

For a while I had white flakes in my tank from having such hard water. Maybe?

aquapet

Rivieraneo- Oh, I forgot to mention that I do have ceramic rings in my filter.
Thank you for your help!

kevymd: My tap water is actually soft water, so I'm not sure what happened. The only thing that changed was the new decorations, so I'm chalking it up to something on the inside of those.

kevymd

Yeah that's probably it. I'm used to thinking hard water, lol.

JRC3

The gourami/molly comparison doesn't work. Please please please don't keep fish in a way that satisfies your wants over the fishes/fish's (sp?) Needs. Just because they've lived for months doesn't mean they will thrive and surpass the average lifespan as most properly cared for fish should.

I always recommend taking unwanted/unkeepable fish to a lfs that will give you credit for them.

aquapet

JRC3, Let me just say that I appreciate your advice and concern, and I fully recognize your wisdom and prowess as a fish-keeper, however please don't mistake my actions for so many others you may have come in contact with.

I didn't want to discuss my gourami overmuch as that's not what this thread is about, but please know a few things:
This 4 inch three spot gourami came in a brackish tank with his two tank mates, the puffer and dragon goby. I re-homed them. Their previous owner was a keeper of many amazing fish , amphibians (she had an axolotl which is awesome), reptiles and cats, and her hobby (and the fact that she's a college biology student) just didn't allow her to afford this tank. She had been trying to sell it for over a year. I've had it for several months now. I trust her judgement about the salinity but also because the gourami has never shown any signs of stress or irritation to her setup. My other tank houses mollies who started to get aggressive towards her, so I purchased a 55 gallon tank and filter, fixtures, decor, etc in order to accommodate her. I kept the salinity the same because that's what she's been living in for longer than I've had her. She shows her colors for spawning, and continues to grow. I wouldn't consider that putting my needs before hers.

I suppose I could put her back in my 25 gallon tank filled with mollies and a betta, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea, almost like dropping her off at my only local pet store, PetCo, who's never heard of brackish water and keeps all the gouramis together despite their aggressiveness towards their own species. I would be ashamed to take credit for that.

If you are just repeating what the common belief is, I would hope that you can see how this doesn't apply to all fishes in all situations. If you have personal evidence based on your experience raising gouramis and the effects of brackish water, I would love to hear it. Otherwise these articles help to explain why I'm not completely selfish my actions to continue raising the gourami as I have been, and help to explain why a saline tank helps promote slime coats, reduce nitrite toxicity, and can be tolerated by adult fish but not smaller fish.

"T. Trichopterus has a wide ecological distribution. It can withstand a large range of media ranging from ordinary freshwater, peaty and black waters, polluted waters to brackish waters."

If my gourami suddenly begins showing signs of irritation or illness, I will readily make a tank available for her or donate her to PetCo should the need arise. But to do so despite physical evidence and experience saying that she is otherwise healthy would only cause unneeded stress, and for the latter option, would likely seal her untimely demise. I don't know you and you don't know me, so I did not mean to be offensive but please take note, that I spend a lot of my time, money, and energy on making my fish the most gorgeous specimens that I can, with what I know and what my friends, and this forum, can help me with.

Lucy

Alrighy then.....Let's put this thread back on topic.

Here is the original issue:

How odd. I woke up and today there appears to be colorless (white) flakes of skin or some mystery material in my tank.

Any further discussion off topic will be deleted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Rcslade124
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views