Lots of tanks, lots of fish!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi guys,

I have been rather inactive on the forum lately as I started a new job and, well, life got in the way! A few ups and downs with my tanks during that time, including disease outbreaks that took out all but one of my angels, mini cycles ....
so I thought I would post my tanks, their inhabitants, and get some feedback.

Here goes... (please don't be too harsh!) :whistling:

1. 6G planted
1x HM betta (Thebus)

2. 22G BB Quarantine tank, floating plants
1x clown loach with skinny disease

3. 23G lightly planted
4x guppies (3 male, 1 female)
13x guppy fry ranging from a few days to 3 weeks old
1x common bristlenose pleco
8x red cherry shrimp

4. 50G moderately planted, driftwood
2x blue gouramis (male and female pair)
4x honey gouramis (2 male & 2 female)

5. 55G heavily planted
4x angels (mature female (Gandalf), 3 juvenile)
9x cardinal tetras

6. 180G heavily planted, driftwood
18x clown loaches - 2x 6", 4x 4", 12x 2-3"
20x cardinal tetras
12x glowlight tetras
2x male gold gouramis (up for sale, but I think I'm falling for them!)
2x juvenile angels (thinking about the 23G for them? Will see if they pair off)
12x bristlenose plecos, incl 3x albinos. These are about to be traded for peppermint and common bn juvie plecs as they have just reached sexual maturity.

7. 6G - currently empty.

Probably important to note all tanks are fully cycled, with mini cycles dealt with about a month ago. Now stable, with 0,0,5-15 on all tanks. Regarding tank #6 - do I see a larger tank in my future...?

So..... let me have it!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would love to have half those tanks. You are one busy girl. I bet water change day is a nightmare at your house.
Yes. And no.
It takes me about 3 hours to do all the weekly maintenance. I use the opportunity to trim plants, hand feed fish and I spread out the water changes. Usually do the 6, 22, 23 and 50 in one hit, and then do the 55 and 180 later in the day (after a break). I have a sort of home made python, but it doesn't work very well and I still have to manually syphon the tanks.

I wish they had Australian-made pythons. Would definitely make my life a lot easier.

I have updated the stocking list to reflect recent changes. Two juvenile angels had to go into the 180G, as they were not fitting in to the 55G. I will wait and see if they pair off and likely put them into another of my tanks. I am also at a loss as to what to do with the 2 male gold gouramis. I don't want them permanently in the 180G, but they are growing on me the longer they are with me.

The guppies - I lost a few of them to camallanus worms. Treatment is over as of yesterday. I don't like the 3m to 1f ratio, but the fry are growing up quite quickly and I am hoping to avoid having to purchase any more adult females. Unless someone gives me one of these and tells me I definitely should!
Anyone else want to chip in with their thoughts on my stocking?

Ryan1824

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a sort of home made python, but it doesn't work very well and I still have to manually syphon the tanks.

I wish they had Australian-made pythons. Would definitely make my life a lot easier.
The part that attaches to the faucet is the same as what is used to fill and drain water beds. Maybe you can check with a shop that sells water beds to see what they carry.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have some new thoughts on my stocking, and a few changes, so I thought I would bump this up as no one really gave me any feedback!

Here goes... (please don't be too harsh!) :whistling:

1. 6G planted
1x HM betta (Thebus) Going to divide the tank and add 1 female

2. 22G BB Quarantine tank, floating plants
2x female bettas - to move to divided 6G betta tanks

3. 23G moderately planted
4x guppies (3 male, 1 female)
~20x guppy fry ranging from a few days to 8 weeks old Angel food
RCS - unknown quantity as they keep breeding. Seems they like the java moss.
Suggestion: 2x german, electric blue or gold rams? Male/female pair.

4. 50G moderately planted, driftwood
2x blue gouramis (male [Tramp] and female [Lady] pair)
4x honey gouramis 1 male & 3 female
1x female common bn

5. 55G heavily planted
4x angels (mature female (Gandalf), 3 juvenile) Two of the juvies are fixing to spawn in the next couple of days, currently leaf cleaning.
9x cardinal tetras
1x female common bn

6. 180G heavily planted, driftwood
17x clown loaches - 2x 6", 3x 4", 12x 2-3"
20x cardinal tetras
12x glowlight tetras
5x SAE
2x male gold gouramis I succumbed... they are staying.
2x juvenile angels Will sell these I think.
9x bristlenose plecos, incl 3x albinos. All currently for sale, sold 4 yesterday for $100!

7. 6G bare bottom, planted
1x Betta (Lucifer). See my thread . Going to divide the tank and add 1 female

So..... let me have it!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Forester, I think I am happy with the number of glowlights. They aren't the hardiest of fish in Melbourne, and I started with 15 many months ago. The number 12 is a guess, as they are impossible to count in the 180G, unless I pull them all out one by one, which is unnecessarily stressful.

I have lost two male guppies; I have no idea to what. The water params are perfect as per Sunday's test, and the RCS are all fine (I would expect any disease or water imbalance to affect at least the shrimplets). I have the 2 juvie angels (Midget and Casper) in the 23G now with the guppies, and I am still deciding if I will keep or sell them.

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (the angels in the 55G) spawned on Friday(?), but it was unsuccessful. I expected that. I'm eagerly anticipating their next spawn to see how it turns out. If it looks viable, I will remove the other inhabitants of the 55G and allow them the chance to raise their fry.

I must be doing something right, as the angels, RCS, guppies and bettas are all trying (or succeeding) to spawn!!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, it's been a while since my last update, so I thought I would run this past you all again. Latest stocking:

1. 6G planted - divided
1x HM betta (Thebus), 1x delta tail female

2. 6G planted - divided
1x delta betta (Lucifer), 1x delta tail female

3. 22G BB Quarantine tank, floating plants
2x albino BNs - ready for sale.

4. 23G moderately planted
1x female guppy fry
?x RCS - multiplying like guppies. Not sure if I will keep this as a shrimp tank now - suggestions welcome.

5. 40G BB angel fry tank
8x 3 week old angel fry
~150x 5 day old wrigglers

6. 50G moderately planted, driftwood
2x blue gouramis (male and female pair)
4x honey gouramis (1 male & 3 female)

7. 55G heavily planted
1x pair spawning angels (Gold male @ White Koi female)

8. 180G heavily planted, driftwood
18x clown loaches - 2x 6", 4x 4", 12x 2-3"
29x cardinal tetras
12x glowlight tetras
2x male gold gouramis
4x angels
5x SAEs
7x bristlenose plecos (for sale)
Would anyone like to offer up any suggestions? I am hoping to take some updated pics tomorrow (we have a public holiday for the Race That Stops the Nation!) and will update each blog accordingly.

I am really looking for some suggestions on what to do with the 23G, 50G and 55G, because I'm stuck!
It should be noted that the 180G is coping amazingly with the bioload - weekly readings of nitrates are 15. I do 40% changes every fortnight, and the nitrates don't go above 20.

At my local petstock, they have eheim ones They sell for about $100-120
Thanks yallyall, but I looked into it and they only sell the battery operated ones. For 8 tanks, that is so not worth my time or $120-140!! I will keep my eye out though, and let you all know how I go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom