Lots Of Sick Fish And No Quarantine Tank! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Logan.t.Foster, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM.

1. Logan.t.Foster

Logan.t.FosterValued MemberMember

I just noticed my two female Bettas have pretty bad fin rot, so I used to the store, and bought some Malefix. I don't have a quarantine tank, so I am currently keeping them in a bucket. Do I need to keep them in a bucket that has no equipment, or should I use my community 20 gallon tank?
    My Angelfish has had some minor fin rot, so I have been treating my community tank with 50% daily WC, and hydrogen peroxide.
    Any advice is welcome, as I haven't had sick fish before.

2. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

They need filtration and heat

3. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

So put them in the community tank and dose for the whole tank?

The bead of one of my Bettas has also lost color. the front half of his body is black, and the back half is blue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM
  4. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Can you post a picture? How long have you had him? My dude slowly turned from white to blue and black soom after i got him. It may be that he is simply changing color.

5. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

OK. Give me a minute.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Do not use Melafix it is extremely harmful to labyrinth fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

What are labyrinth fish?

Here are the photos. I did a 50% water change and replaced the filter cartridges, so the water is cloudy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM
  8. Jellibeen

I'm not very experienced with fin rot, but i did recently deal with it in my male betta. The best treatment is clean water. Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are? Do you notice the fish nipping or chasing each other? I know female bettas and angelfish can be nippy. I wonder if they are hurting each others fins.

I will let someone else weigh in on if you should be doing any other fin rot treatments. I have heard conflicting advice on melafix and labyrinth fish. Bettas are a type of labyrinth fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

the Female Bettas chase each other, but from what I saw, there has been no contact. My angle fish is almost always passive, and when he does get provoked, he never bites.
    My params are 0/0/0.

10. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Peroxide will react to anything in the water. Melafix is just a herbal remedy anyway so pretty useless and the peroxide will react to it instead of the bacteria causing fin rot so one cancels out the other. Peroxide works best after a big water change. A labyrinth fish has a lung like organ. Betta, gouromi type fish.

11. CandyCane701

CandyCane701Valued MemberMember

If there's no nitrates the tank is not cycled. I also wondered if they might be damaging each other's fins. If it's fin rot daily water changes will be the best treatment.

12. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

Its defiantly cycled, i have ben doing 50% WC for the past three days. I also have live plants. Its cycled.

13. Jellibeen

To get back to your original question, i don't think you should keep any of the fish in an unheated, unfiltered container. I have added a heater and bubbler to a bucket and used that as hospital tank before. However, i'm not sure Melafix is your best treatment. People mention using salt baths for fin rot a lot, which may be good since you wouldn't have to treat the whole tank or keep the bettas in a separate tank.

14. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Just did this for an angelfish. Used the salt method. A teaspoon per gal. I did it in a 5 gal. I also used a heater and raised the temp to 80*. Now salt is bad for plants so if your going to do the whole tank I would remove the plants and put them in the bucket. Good luck and the sooner you start the better. The fin rot was gone in about 3 day but it took about a month for him to grow back the fin.

15. Aquilist

AquilistValued MemberMember

It takes weeks to cycle a tank, not 3 days.

16. CandyCane701

Once you have nitrates is when your tank is cycled.

17. Jellibeen

I believe the OP is saying that the reason there are no nitrates is because he has done large water changes the past few days.

18. CandyCane701

Hmm. I've never heard of water changes alone being able to drop nitrates to 0ppm.

19. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

I have had this tank for 9 months, I have had nitrates before.
    It is cycled. if you insist I will do another nitrate test. Maybe I made a mistake the last time I tested it.

20. CandyCane701

Have you recently changed your filter media?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice