Lots Of Questions For Pea Puffer Owners!

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am setting up a 10 gallon for 3 peas and am wondering what the best temperature to keep them at is.

I’ve seen anywhere from 72-82 on google and haven’t been able to find any personal experiences.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
78° is what my friend has his set at..he says below 78 they were less active.

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you! I am trying to get it to 78 but the heater is set at 80 and only reading 76. :/

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isobelle said:
Thank you! I am trying to get it to 78 but the heater is set at 80 and only reading 76. :/
I have that issue too in my 65. Set to 89 to get tank to 80.

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That’s crazy! I’m worried I’ll wreck the heater or overheat the tank somehow if I turn it up anymore

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isobelle said:
That’s crazy! I’m worried I’ll wreck the heater or overheat the tank somehow if I turn it up anymore
It sounds like you don't have the fish yet so over hrating tank isn't a big deal and the heaters are made to withstand the temperatures of up to 90°

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t have them yet, but I’ve spent the better part of January trying to get this tank ready for them. I just rescaped everything yesterday for them to grow in a little better, and this is my third week and third different heater. I just want some fishies! Haha.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isobelle said:
I don’t have them yet, but I’ve spent the better part of January trying to get this tank ready for them. I just rescaped everything yesterday for them to grow in a little better, and this is my third week and third different heater. I just want some fishies! Haha.
Lol I hear ya.. I love the fluval heaters

Fluval M 200-Watt Submersible Heater they have different watts..obviously don't get the 200w.

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I rescaped my future puffer tank on Thursday. It’s a 10 gallon, for 3 pea puffers.

I’m wondering if it would be okay to put them in there while it grows out, or if I need to wait until it’s more filled in.

Thank you!

Attachments

PokeTileCraft101

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you can maybe add something to the middle of the tank just to add some more areas to break the veiw of the pea puffers would help decrease any chance of aggression. But if not I should do well but imnot sure. I have 2 pea puffers in a 5 gallon but because of the plant coverage (hornwort) they will rarely have any aggression as their line of sight will break.

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did originally have hornwort all over the top but I found it frustrating to clean with, there was just a lot of it haha. I’m thinking of buying more valls for the sides but I am trying to keep a little section of the middle open!

This was the original.

Attachments

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know you can’t always tell when they’re young, but is anyone able to help me gender these pea puffers?? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are seriously the cutest little things. I love them so much.

Also, good news and bad news...

Good news is apparently there were some snail eggs somewhere because the tank has like a dozen tiny new snails, and a little clutch of 4 new eggs!

Bad news... I have watched the peas eat about 6 of them already.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isobelle said:
They are seriously the cutest little things. I love them so much.

Also, good news and bad news...

Good news is apparently there were some snail eggs somewhere because the tank has like a dozen tiny new snails, and a little clutch of 4 new eggs!

Bad news... I have watched the peas eat about 6 of them already.
I just bought pest snails in our BSTF section. Maybe try that

live4wetsleeves

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's hard to tell but it looks like you potentially have a male and a female. without being able to see the small iridescent "eye wrinkles" its hard to ID the males. They usually have deeper colors and more defined dots and blobs. The females tend to be more bland and plump with rounder bellies. Usually mostly yellow with smaller markings. I have 6 in a heavily planted 20 gal and these are actually the most adorable and personable fish I've kept in the 13 years I've been in the hobby. Everyone who follows me on Instagram can't get enough of the little goobers!

Do these peas have a tank to themselves?

(I have a boat load of MTS's in my tank back home but it's a two hour drive so my lil' goobers are on a brine shrimp/bloodworm/ghost shrimp diet.)

OP
Isobelle

Isobelle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, they are in a 10 gallon alone. 3 of them. I was under the impression that males were bland and the girls had darker spots.

New Threads