Lots of questions about fry feeding

ForBettaorForWorse

So, I've got a batch of betta fry. I've been feeding them from an infusoria culture for about three days. When should I start feeding them other food?

I also bought this stuff. It's micron shrimp patties, advertized for fry. Has anyone used this kind of food before? If so, when should I start feeding it to the fry? And finally, is there a good live culture to substitute for Baby Brine shrimp? I don't currently have the equipment to hatch any right now.

Realfire734

you could just buy the baby brine shrimp frozen from somewhere

ForBettaorForWorse

Does that work for fry?

Realfire734

it worked with my guppy and platie fry so it should work for betta fry I am not quite sure though

ForBettaorForWorse

Hmm, I'll see if I can get any. It's always worth a try, and if it doesn't work, I can save it for the guppies I eventually want

TClare

Betta fry are much smaller than guppy or Platy fry, I am not sure about frozen brine shrimp, I have only seen adult ones frozen, but maybe if you can get newly hatched ones it would be OK. I have not heard of those patties, Hikari first bites might be OK. Live BBS would be much better as they see them moving and I think it helps them recognise that it’s food.

mimo91088

I have no betta breeding experience myself but it has somewhat sparked my interest. As someone who absolutely cannot be bothered to culture live food I'll chime in and ask: Has anyone here been successful with golden pearls?

ForBettaorForWorse

I actually saw that! I thought about buying it, but went for another product. This stuff is supposed to mimic baby brine shrimp. Has anyone used it?

mimo91088

I actually saw that! I thought about buying it, but went for another product. This stuff is supposed to mimic baby brine shrimp. Has anyone used it?
I can't speak to it, but I'm curious to hear how it works out for you.

ForBettaorForWorse

So, I was moving stuff around in my planted tank, and noticed little tiny white things moving around. Instantly, I thought about how my betta fry could eat it. So, I grabbed my little fry holder that goes inside the aquarium. After noting the presence of little tiny white things, I scooped up seven betta fry, and put the in the holder. I have no idea what's going to happen, so I might have fry in the morning. I just wanted to try something.

veggieshark

They can't eat even baby brine at first. Look into infusoria and vinegar eels. In the old days we used to feed boiled egg yolk but it is very messy and now something of the past. I still do it if there is unexpected fry and there is emergency.

Ok, you made me curious. What are you talking about?

TClare

I have not seen that one but we get a lot of that make of food here and it seems quite good.
They can't eat even baby brine at first. Look into infusoria and vinegar eels. In the old days we used to feed boiled egg yolk but it is very messy and now something of the past. I still do it if there is unexpected fry and there is emergency.
I think they have already been eating infusoria for several days. Yes, I have often used hard boiled egg yolk as well. Put a little in a small piece of fine mesh, like old tights, and squeeze it gently into the water.

ForBettaorForWorse

Yes, the fry have been on infusoria for about three to four days.When is a good time to wean them off of it and on to real foods?

They were like little white specks that were moving around. I have no idea what they are.

JLAquatics

They were like little white specks that were moving around. I have no idea what they are.
By the way you describe the organisms as tiny white things, it makes me think they are possibly copepods or daphnia. These are both great foods for your fry and are completely harmless in your aquarium. For better identification, do you have a picture of them/how do they move in the water?

StarGirl

Following to see if a pic happens. Curious now too! ;)

Flyfisha

ForBettaorForWorse,
I have no betta fry experience.

You ask about weaning the fry from infusorea to other. “ real” foods. And about other cultures of live foods suitable for small fish that potentially only recognise things that move as food.

You say you don’t have the equipment for baby brine. I say you have been watching the wrong videos? You will need an air line .but even that is not 100% necessary according to some systems people use. You will need a strainer but a fine fish net will work or even coffee papers. The strainer IS the only thing you need.

If I can still find it a link to culturing bb in an old shoe/ boot.

Daphnia would be a culture to consider for the betta as they grow.
Right now you need micro worms, and perhaps vinegar eels. The fry should soon be to big to need vinegar eels ?

One trick to help change fry over to dead food is to grind up live baby brine in a mortar and pestle with dry dust from powdered food.
another tip
Adding a small amount of dry dust to water and using a turkey baster ( eye dropper) just moments before the wiggling live food is added MAY help the fry associate the floating wet dust as food.?
You must be registered to see images

In short to answer your question. Now is the time to slowly start introducing small amounts of dry dead dust into the water.

Only a pinch is needed after it is mixed with water. Blast a squirt of the brown water at the fry school each time just before you feed Infusorea.

A link that may help you realise the manufactures of brine shrimp hatcheries are just after your money.

I would suggest a plastic soft drink bottle is as good as an old shoe?

ForBettaorForWorse

Hmm, I will look into that. I still don't have the eggs anyway, so I would need to order some.
The food I bought is supposed to be like baby brine shrimp, but the fry aren't schooling together or really responding to the food I put in so far, so I assume it is not quite time for that yet.

Alright, so my phone refused to focus on the tiny things, so I have a pic with specks.
They moved kinda jerk-i-ly (If that's a word or something)

StarGirl

Yeah they seem like some kind of Copepods. They are harmless and the fish will eat them.

Flyfisha

Having listened to local club members talking about their journey with betta fry it seems many fry do not recognise things that don’t wriggle as food. They may never “respond “. Waiting may not be the answer?
Apparently some will survive by learning before they starve. I wish you luck with the challenge of the next few days/ weeks.

I encourage you to learn how to culture micro worms. It really is not that much work and has almost no smell other than the yeast ( food ) Only after a month when it’s time to replace the bedding does the culture start to stink. A teaspoon of the old culture is used to start more takeaway containers of culture.
You must be registered to see images

ForBettaorForWorse

Cool! That's a fun surprise:)

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll have to look into that.

I tried the Brine shrimp mimic stuff, and the fry did not seem interested. I'm not sure if they are quite ready for it yet.

I'll probably use the Infusoria culture for about three or four more days, and then I will try the instant baby brine shrimp and mimic stuff.

TClare

I tried the Brine shrimp mimic stuff, and the fry did not seem interested. I'm not sure if they are quite ready for it yet.

I'll probably use the Infusoria culture for about three or four more days, and then I will try the instant baby brine shrimp and mimic stuff.
Do as Flyfisha suggests with the dry food, mix a little with water and squirt it amongst the fry with a pipette.

ForBettaorForWorse

That is what I did. They didn't seem interested, so I'm not sure that they're quite ready yet

Flyfisha

ForBettaorForWorse
I feel the need to say there is no point in waiting for the fry to be “ ready “

When feeding any live foods it is possible to raise fry into juveniles and then on to adulthood who have not learnt to eat food that does not wiggle. Someone who raises adult fish like guppies that will only eat live foods has raised a worthless creature . I don’t know if you are aware of this small danger of feeding live foods?

Clearly we have to use live foods with many species.
You are aware that adult fish don’t readily eat Infusorea. I am not saying you are in danger with feeding the fry at the moment. I am saying you should not wait.

I have no experience using chicken eggs as fry food.
Apparently hard boiled egg yoke is made into a fine powder/ paste . A very small amount is put in front of fry. I can only assume the egg yoke paste slowly floats past the fry and has a smell that may interest them?

In short my reply is to say don’t wait for the fry, continue trying to feed things that don’t wiggle.

TClare

Yes, I recommend trying the egg. One time when I couldn’t get brine shrimp eggs I tried Laetacara fry with first bites, using the pipettes method, and they didn’t take it. They did go for the egg though, I have also fed this while transitioning to live baby brine shrimps. I remember years and years ago I raised betta fry with egg yolk.

ForBettaorForWorse

Okay Thanks! That sounds like something to try:) It's a good thing we have chickens.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bagets
Replies
Views
randy678
Replies
Views
kbn
Replies
Views