Lots Of Questions About Cories

1. april_fish Member Member

Hello! I was hoping I could get some information from people who have had experience keeping these cories. I've done research but every website seems to be different and I want to make sure I am not using incorrect information.

-What temp for sterbai cories? Minimum tank size?
    -What temp for julii cories? Minimum tank size?
    -What temp for bronze cories? Minimum tank size?
    -What temp for peppered cories? Minimum tank size?
    -What temp for panda cories? Minimum tank size?
    -Is sand substrate necessary for cories?

Thank you so much :)
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I have Sterbai cories, they're a warmer water species so high 70's to low 80's. I do recommend sand as their natural behaviour is to suck it into their mouths, sift through it for any small food particles/bugs/worms/crustaceans, and then discard the sand through their gills. It's also gentler on their delicate and sensitive barbels. It's so much fun to watch a group of them working their way over the sand sifting through it for food as they would in the wild!

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Temperatures are not cookie cutters. What is given to you are ranges. Those ranges are the temperatures they would experience in the wild. If I say a fish has a range of 18-26 it means it experiences those temperatures in the wild, but not continously so it would be kind of unfair (at least IMO) to leave the fish for its whole life at the temperature they would experience in the coldest part of winter or the hottest part of summer. Unless you are willing to imitate seasonal changes in temperature I would just keep them somewhere in the middle.

Julii cories are almost impossible to find. Most of the time they are Corydoras Trilineatus.
    For all the cories you mentioned I would say a 20 gal long is the minimum tank size. And no sand is not a necessity but I would not keep them in anything but sand.
    Sterbai comes from warm waters and does best at temperatures of 24-28 Celsius.
    Trilineatus has a broad range, one of the locations where it lives in the wild is the Ucayali river in Peru which usually has average temperatures of 20 Celsius. PlanetCatfish.com gives it a 16-25 range.

Bronze cories have a very wide range. I would say you can keep them anywhere from 18-27, again try to avoid extremes permanently.

Corydoras Paleatus come from Eastern Argentina, in the Parana river and arent tropical so if you want a typical fish tank I would stay away from them. Their range is from 15 to around 24. Ian Fuller has bred them as low as 12 Celsius before so I am sure they are more cold resistant but I dont think you will ever keep your tank at anything lower than 12 Celsius. 24 is already at their top range. I would keep them at 17-21 Celsius.

Panda Corys were first captured in the Ucayali river which as said above, has an average temperature of 20 Celsius. They have a slightly wider range tho so they can handle higher temperatures. PlanetCatfish.com gives it a 20-25. I would keep them at the lower end of the scale.
  4. april_fish Member Member

Thanks for the reply! Most of my tanks are mid-70s so I won't be able to get any Sterbai cories, hopefully I can keep them someday though!

Thank you for all this information, it was so helpful!
    I've seen cories labeled as Julii cories at Petsmart, do you think they are actually Corydoras Trilineatus? Could any of these cories be kept in a 20g tall?

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yes, I am 99% sure they are Corydoras Trilineatus. Corydoras Julii is very rare and as you can see, mislabeled all the time. And yeah, I guess you could put them on a 20 gal tall but they would appreacite the footprint a 20 long gives them.
    Are you stuck with a 20 tall? Look into Corydoras pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus, those are probably better choices for a 20gal tall. You could make your tank a nano species tank.
  6. april_fish Member Member

I have a 20g long, but the substrate is gravel so I don't want to get any cories for this tank.

I also have a 20g tall with 8 skirt tetras and I was planning on getting a DG and 6 panda cories. This tank also has gravel but I am going to do a substrate change to sand. I only have enough sand for the tall. Would you recommend that I get one of the smaller cories that you mentioned for this tank?
  7. SFFishSticks Member Member

Panda's and dwarf are ok in a 20 tall, most others should be in at least a 20 long or 30 gallon, but I wouldn't worry about a 20 tall for some smaller ones like the false Julii you're seeing at the store. You can tell they're false Julii by the spots on their head which will be more connected. They're also tank raised not wild caught. Sand substrate, or soil with a sand cap.

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

While most of the time you can easily distinguish Corydoras Trilineatus for Corydoras Julii sometimes they look so similar the only way to know what they are is by checking where they were collected or if it was farm-bred.
    Opinions will vary but I would put 10-12 Habrosus in that 20 gal tall and avoid stuff like Pandas or Trilineatus.
  9. april_fish Member Member

Would corydoras pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus all work for the 20g tall? The temperature is 75F. I think I'm going to get a school of pygmy cories, but I'll see what my lfs has.
  10. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Yes. 75 F is good for those 3. Pygmaeus and hastatus like to have fun swimming against the glass and will sometimes fly around the tank in the low to mid levels. They wont swim around like tetras but they will hover above the ground for quite some time when you compare it to "normal" corydoras. Habrosus is said to act more like a "normal" corydora but I have never kept it so I cant really talk from experience, just from reading around.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

They actually will swim around as tetras !