Lots Of Nitrates But Plants Die Help 

Oriongal

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishRFriendz said:
You may want to get the RO filter just for your own drinking purposes if it's coming out of the tap that high. Nitrate can affect health.
It wasn't actually that high, though. My older API Master Kit was showing it that high, but two different kinds/brands of test strips were showing it as trace amounts. And a brand-new API Master Kit agreed with the test strips.

May look a little off since the test tubes are laying on an off-white stone; but the tap water (right-hand tube, second pic) was showing 5ppm or less with the brand-new API Master kit (agreeing with the test strips), while the exact same tap water sample was showing nearly 40ppm with the older Master Kit.

And that was my point, that the exact same water was only testing that high with an older Master Kit, one that was still well within its expiration date (but also had been stored in a non-climate-controlled space.) My actual nitrates were nowhere near as high as the older test kit was showing them to be, either in the pond or from my tap.

The test strips may not be as accurate as a kit, but at the same time the kits aren't infallible either. It took me two kits and two different types of strips to come to the conclusion that my older kit wasn't giving an accurate result (was reading way higher than actual.)

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is interesting to know. I wonder now if others have had the same experience. I should get a new kit and see if the results are different...hmmm.

Tris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
Hey just a recommendation for a light. On eBay look up vivagrow 24/7 led light. These lights are cheap and work great. I have the finnex 24/7 also a great light but the vivagrow is less than a third of the price. Have them running together on my 90 and you can’t tell the difference. $50 for a 48” free shipping .
Yes excel is more of an algaecide than co2. I use the api co2 booster and grow both anacharis and hornwort fine. No melt.
Sounds like the only thing your missing is light. Your tanks are deep so the beamworks is not reaching them.
Also I’m looking to get rid of some plants.View attachment 585530 I have anacharis,hornwort, westeria and some java moss to get rid of if your in the states. Just pay shipping.
Hmm I looked up the vivagrow, may get that for one of my tanks. And yes I’m interested in the extra plants, I live in California 95670. About how much would it be for shipping?

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I has issues with plants and I did ferts etc. In the end for me it was TDS was 900. I think you can add too much of everything which can stunt plants growth. I keep things at 225 and one pump of thrive a day or two and all is good now also 25 percent water change ever two weeks as I have shrimp.

SeattleRoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tris said:
Hey guys so I have a lot of nitrate in all my tanks, 40+ , we have nitrates in our tap. I’ve tried duckweed, salvinia , Anacharis, all those nitrate sucking plants but they don’t survive and end up dying off. I have other plants in my tank too, Amazon Swords, Anubias, water sprite, which are doing okay but not very well and start dying off too. I’m
Confused because apparently plants love nitrates? But I can’t even keep duckweed Alive unfortunately. And I really want to lower my nitrates, I use pothos too.
Hi @Tris ,

As some have stated plants need a lot of different nutrients for healthy growth. However, before going out and spending a lot of money on new lights let's look at the basics. What tank is giving you the most trouble? Let's look at the water parameters and photoperiod.

Tank Size

Light fixture

Photoperiod

pH

dKH

dGH

Nitrates

Also could you please post pictures of some of the plants in you tank, both healthy ones and ones that are suffering.

I suspect it is one of the basic macro or micro nutrients that is the issue. Plants can grow very well with minimum light intensity. Here is a 10 gallon with PAR@30, no CO2, but proper nutrients.
KJBAUZjk9X0Iob_omjTbg7Mah1g21TdX2iRPGGRDnHQiqYrPhsRSF2uglqUnb9IMf4esknJ5HOhXQ38PttU=w662-h426-no.jpg

Attachments

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@SeattleRoy Very nice looking 10 gallon. What's the tenellus looking plant? I used to have the one that turned pink and I miss it so much, but don't know the name. Tx!

SeattleRoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi @angelcraze

You have a good eye! That is Helanthium tenellum; changed from Echinodorus tenellus var tenellus / Pygmy Chain Sword a few years ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom