Lots Of Fish Dead After Water Change

Tessa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there,

Did a standard weekly water change last night of about 20% (110l tank) . Woke up this morning to see around 10 fish dead. (all rummy nose, some tetras, pleco and shrimp dead)

The tank has been established for years, all fish seemed healthy beforehand.

Used de-chlorinator and matched temperature as usual, nothing different.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

Inno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would test your tap water, see if anything is off.

Sorry for your loss, that's a real bummer.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your tragedy. Sometimes the water companies boost there chlorine levels, especially if there has been a long term rain or major water line work. My guess would either be chlorine poisoning or pH shock.
Tessa said:
Hi there,

Did a standard weekly water change last night of about 20% (110l tank) . Woke up this morning to see around 10 fish dead. (all rummy nose, some tetras, pleco and shrimp dead)

The tank has been established for years, all fish seemed healthy beforehand.

Used de-chlorinator and matched temperature as usual, nothing different.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

Tessa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
finnipper59 said:
Sorry to hear about your tragedy. Sometimes the water companies boost there chlorine levels, especially if there has been a long term rain or major water line work. My guess would either be chlorine poisoning or pH shock.
Thanks.
Would it be best to switch to RO water or just be extra careful and test tap water? I'm scared to do another water change and wipe out the remaining fish..

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
My tank hangs around a pH 6.5 and the tapwater is usually 7.0. I do 25 % water changes so the overall pH doesn't rise anymore than 0.2. But there are times when my tap tested 7.8 and I'd wait a day and check it again. Always add a little more of the chlorine remover than recommended...even double it. We don't usually have aquarium tests for chlorine levels and the extra water conditioner doesn't harm the fish.

finnipper59 said:
My tank hangs around a pH 6.5 and the tapwater is usually 7.0. I do 25 % water changes so the overall pH doesn't rise anymore than 0.2. But there are times when my tap tested 7.8 and I'd wait a day and check it again. Always add a little more of the chlorine remover than recommended...even double it. We don't usually have aquarium tests for chlorine levels and the extra water conditioner doesn't harm the fish.
Using RO water has it's own different problems to deal with. It's usually too soft so you have to add mineral supplements to raise and buffer pH levels and you wind up having to resuplement the mineral levels when you do water changes based on gH and kH hardness levels...it's a whole different process to have to learn. Just check your tapwater pH and nitrates. If either are high, wait another day before changing water...if it's better then and use extra chlorine and chloramine remover.

Tessa

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
finnipper59 said:
Using RO water has it's own different problems to deal with. It's usually too soft so you have to add mineral supplements to raise and buffer pH levels and you wind up having to resuplement the mineral levels when you do water changes based on gH and kH hardness levels...it's a whole different process to have to learn. Just check your tapwater pH and nitrates. If either are high, wait another day before changing water...if it's better then and use extra chlorine and chloramine remover.
Thanks, I'll check my tap water. Hadn't checked it in a while as I've never had issues, should probably be more careful. I usually double up on dechlorinator anyway.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RO/DI realy is the best way to go If you are willing to spend the money for the setup and storage. It is no more difficult than treating tap water and you know exactly what you are getting. I remineralize with SeaChem Equilibrium.

I use a 75 GPD 5 stage system from BRS. I setup 90 gallons of storage. The water comming out is Ph 7.0 with 1 PPM TDS. Been doing this for at least 5 years. My plants and fish love it.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tessa said:
Thanks, I'll check my tap water. Hadn't checked it in a while as I've never had issues, should probably be more careful. I usually double up on dechlorinator anyway.
Ok. Make sure you check th pH before using the tapwater and good for you for doubling the dechlorinator.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tessa said:
Thanks, I'll check my tap water. Hadn't checked it in a while as I've never had issues, should probably be more careful. I usually double up on anyway.
Maybe once every couple months (more if any illness/symptoms) I check my tap water against my tank water. My logic goes like this: in anticipation of very low (zero, or near-zero) readings for ammonia and nitrites - and we've all seen how hard it is to tell the difference between low and zero - I test tap and tank side by side for each. So this tells me a) if my tap water has anything other than trace for ammonia or nitrites, and b) assuming the tap does give zero for these, I can use that colour as a reference point against the tests for ammo/nitrites in the tank water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom