20 Gallon Tank Lots of brown algae

rkeehn547

Hello, I have a 20 gallon aquarium and I’ve been dealing with a ton of brown algae. All of my plants and most of the gravel is always covered in the algae. The algae appeared in the tank around a few months ago when it was still being cycled. I haven’t had any other type of algae besides the brown type. I have been dosing my tank with two pumps of easy green after my weekly water changes. I also put a few root tabs in the gravel occasionally. The aquarium light has an average brightness and I have it on a timer for 12 hours a day. The tank has around 30-35ppm nitrates before I do my weekly water changes and the pH usually tests at about 8. I also have very hard water where I live here in Arizona. I’m assuming that my tank isn’t correctly balanced. What would I have to do to get rid of the brown algae. Thanks

Roman96

Cut out the fertilizer. I ran into the same problem and I cut out the easy green and ended up wit no diatoms. Then you can slowly work your way back into using it again. Just use root tabs until then. (This is going off if your tank is low tech).

Lowering the photoperiod to 8-10 hours might help as well.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Jenn023
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Redviper
  • Question
Replies
Views
EricGolembeski