Lots Of Algae?

SammiW003

Hi, I've been on this forum since January which is when I got my betta, Stormrage! I'm still new to some things and while I've asked this question before, it hasn't resolved within my tank. I have an algae problem. Algae will grow on all sides of the tank in between water changes and it's infuriating. I've closed the blinds as much as I can (I have plants on the windowsill), I've tried to keep his tank light on for only 8 hours, and his tank had been up and running since January so I don't think it would be because it's cycling. I ALWAYS have a problem detecting nitrate with the liquid testing kit though (idk if I'm doing it wrong). Could I just have really low nitrate levels? Everything else is zero.

I recently moved back home and I decided to put Storm in the basement so he wouldn't get sunlight. I've been turning his lights on at 12 and, except. for last night, turning them off around 8-9. His tank temp was low but now it's 80-80.5 degrees in there. He's been down there for a week and still has algae. Some algae has little bubbles on it though. Can anyone give me advice?

Side Question: I feel bad for Stormrage being down there alone for most of the day. Does anyone know if fish like to listen to music? I'm thinking about leaving classical music on when he's down there so he doesn't feel lonely.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Pictures would help, it depends on the type of algae for a solution

Chaory

Either leave the lights off or only on for a few hours. You can also get a lighting fixture that has multiple light dimming settings, like the USA Current Satellite.

VoldaFisch

U can use some algae fix and only have the lights on for 8 hours a day and that with help

cc328

If you can scrub it off that might help. Even if you have to do a 100% water chance and scrub the whole tank and everything in it that might help (maybe boil gravel or do a bleach dip?). That would help to eliminate the already existing algae.

How big is your tank? Having too small of a tank can raise the level of waste in the water which the algae then feeds off of. If your tank is large enough, you could possibly get a snail which would help control algae growth. I'll be able to help you more if you add a picture and the tank size!

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Most algaecides are a death sentence for fish. I'd never recommend using any.

If it's a red algae light will have no effect on it. You can keep it in pitch darkness forever and Itll still flourish.

Identifying the type of algae will allow a proper solution instead of throwing a bunch of stuff at the aquarium to see what sticks

SammiW003

I gave a 5 gallon tank, Fluval V, and he is the only one in there.
You must be registered to see images

There's two pictures of the tank. It's on the top of his "house", on the dragon, and on the silk plant. I'm planning on getting some new live ones since the others died. I scrub the tank walls and vacuum the gravel to try and get as much of it out as I can.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

I would add some plants to out compete it, Amazon sword, frogbit, pothos. This will ensure it stays away.

Do a blackout for 24-48 hours and cut your lights back to 6 hours and schedule your lights with the indirect sunlight so its truly 6 hours. Keep it on that schedule until it's gone.

cc328

If I were you I would do bleach dips on the decorations and gravel, and maybe even boil them, then drain the tank and scrub it to get rid of the already astablished algae. Adding more live plants might help, but the others probably died because of the algae. So I would take care of thar first. Adding a filter would also help a lot

You could then add a snail (you would have to research which kind would fit in your tank) that would both help to control algae are entertain your betta.

As far as him being bored, he really is fine in your basement. I'm not sure how music would work. By giving him live plants as well as toys like a betta leaf or floating log, he will be a very happy fish!

daniel moore

I had
I gave a 5 gallon tank, Fluval V, and he is the only one in there.

There's two pictures of the tank. It's on the top of his "house", on the dragon, and on the silk plant. I'm planning on getting some new live ones since the others died. I scrub the tank walls and vacuum the gravel to try and get as much of it out as I can.
I had some in my tank previously. I added a couple of pleco and they keep mine clean.

cc328

Plecos are great algae eaters, but definitely can not live in a 5 gallon tank.

SammiW003

Wouldn't removing all the gravel and decorations cause the cycle to start over? I have the filter that came with the tank running all the time.

purslanegarden

Much of the bacteria live inside the filter, so it's possible to clean out the deco and substrate, while keeping the filter running. Clean also the sides of the tank. You may not get everything but you want to get enough to control it, and then reduce the conditions that caused it to grow so well. Alternatively, you can do a deep clean on the tank, too, while keeping the fish and filter in another temporary container.

There may still be algae spores inside the filter (since it has been sucking things up from the water column) but a deep clean on that or reducing the algae conditions in the newly cleaned tank, should help solve the problem.

SammiW003

Okay, thank you! I definitely will do a deep clean next time I do a wc. I was thinking about getting a nerite snail in a month. People have told me that they're pretty good about eating any algae that pops up. Would that be recommended with this type of algae?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• capecodder
  • Algae
Replies
Views
GettinTanked
  • Question
  • charlie1256
  • Algae
Replies
Views
charlie1256