Lost

paul_219

Reaction score
I have read alot of goldfish but still didnt get something so plzi f some can help me. I have 3 baby goldfish in a 10 gal tank. What i want to know is.

Do they need table salt because i read on a site they want and on the other site no.
Do i need to put them a heater in winter. The temperature becomes like 10 degrees in the night and 15 in the morning maybe higher. So do i need a heater.

Hanks For Your Help?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't believe goldfish would like salt. Is your tank outside or inside? are those Celcius or Ferenheit(sp) temperature readings? sorry to ask questions to answer your questions.
Carol

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,    goldfish are coldwater fish and tolerate wide ranges, but do not need a heater it only speeds up the lifespan of the fish and generally its just not good for them although it has been known i think it shouldn't happen, i wouldn't worry too much about the overnight differences in temperature as far as I'm aware there is not much you can do to keep a stable coldwater temperature for coldwater fish ( unless you can place your tank in a better position in the room IF POSSIBLE as the fluctuating temp could be a draught from a door or window
i dont think salt is a good idea for goldfish either, ive never used salt in any case for fish as far as i know salt is only used for helping infections and for a limited amount of species but im pretty sure goldfish is not one of them.
But you learn something new everyday lol
SOrry i just noticed your temperatures holy **** thats a bit chilly where is the tank (in the freezer) only kidding, hope your baby fish do well

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm with the others that goldfish don't need salt. However, I noticed that you said "table salt" and I wanted to mention that if you ever need to treat your fish with salt - any fish, not just goldies... NEVER EVER EVER use table salt. It has other stuff in it that is BAD for fish. Repeat after me and always remember "I will never put table salt in my fishtank. I will never put table salt in my fish tank. I will never put table salt in my fishtank."

If you need to put salt in your tank (low concentrations can be used to help with various ailments) - us aquarium salt. Its safe for fish.

Carol, if those temps were Fahrenheit, the tank would be frozen solid. Water freezes at 32 degrees, remember?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep I remember but I guess I didn't remember that day but I couldn't figure out why his house was getting 10-15F.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom