Lost without a trace

1. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I am puzzled by this one:

I got a male Betta (White colored Dragon Scale) last week. I placed its home tank (a 4gal all glass cube) at my desktop in my home-office. Last night at 2AM he was there, sleeping by one Anbias Barteri var nana.

This morning he was gone. Literally gone. I turned the small tank appart, removed the filters, plants, even went through the substrate (Eco-Complete). Nothing.

I though he might have managed to jump out of a small gap in the cover but I can't confirm that since I haven't been able to find his body. No one at home found him dead and removed him from the tank.

At the moment the only pet I have home are Peachface Lovebirds and they are all caged. I'm puzzled by this vanishing act. I'm saddened by this obvious loss.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. click Well Known Member Member

Sorry your fish is missing. It's frustrating when they disappear without a trace. I suspect he might have jumped and maybe through his struggle, got farther away from the tank. Have you looked all around the room, under furniture ...everywhere? I hope you can find him. In any case, sorry for you loss:;group

3. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Did you have any decorations in the tank? My betta disappeared once and I found him stuck inside a bridge that used to be in his tank. He swam in and couldn't find his way out. I eventually got him out and removed the decoration from the tank.

4. scatty Member Member

It's weird huh? I had this happen to me once. Eventually I did find the fish though, by then very dead and dried up - it was much further away from the tank than I thought it could possibly get. I'm so sorry for the loss of your betta boy :(

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry pepe, i knew how excited you were with your betta :( did you check farther away from the tank like scatty suggested? :-\

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm really sorry Pepe.

7. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I just got home. Thanks for your supportive replies. I will broaden the area I've been looking into. If I find his body at least I would be able to say goodbye.

I went to the LFS to see if I could find a similar looking one (my daughter hasn't noticed yet Jimmy Boy is missing) but had no luck.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry Pepe. I hope you find him.

9. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<hugs> pepe...
    I think it was the :;bmu...

10. Borisbbadd Guest

I had that happen to me once, I never found the fish, but I think one of the dogs or the cat probably did.

11. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

That happened to me, only it was with an angelfish. She was only about the size of a quarter. I only had her for about a month, and then one day she vanished. :( After she didn't come out for a couple of days, I pulled EVERYTHING (except the sand) out of the tank. She wasn't in there! The only possible thing I could think of is that she jumped out and one of our dogs got her, but it's highly unlikely because about 70% of my tank's top is covered by the hood, and angelfish aren't jumpers.

12. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Definitely abducted by alien fish... What a bummer! I miss that fishie. Within a matter of days we were getting along quite well.

I placed a male Pla Kat in the 4gal cube. We're getting used to each other. Filled the water surface with duckweed.

I'll have to wait until late January 2010 for another fish order (too much risk as bringing live fish in aircargo from Indonesia with the inherent hollyday season's higher probability for delays).

I've been thinking in ordering Betta Imbellis. Male and Female can be housed together without problems as a pair.

With Pla Kats a male and a sorority is quite doable as long as there's enough tank footprint: the male I placed in the 4gal cube in my desktop was with a six females sorority in a moderately planted 30gal Breeder tank (with Bosemani Rainbowfish, Glass Catfish and Upside-Down Catfish). The ladies run a hierarchy but the male wanders around solo.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

13. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

How very, very bizaar.
    The new plan sounds great. Good luck.

14. badroy35 Initiate Member

RIP little fishie:;a1

15. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss, just remember, bettas have a laybrith organ so they can go farther than the normal gilled fish, might want to check outside, I had a rosy minnow make it out the back door, we were having our floors redone and there was lots of loud noises and it jumped and since workers were constantly going in and out our back door was open and it flipped through the doorway,im lucky my mom found him and put him back in my tank