Lost Two Zebra Danios Somehow

1. chadcf

chadcf Valued Member Member

I haven't really counted them in a while, I had 6 originally bought last January. Tonight it occurred to me during feeding that there were only 4 up there eating. Which isn't entirely unusual, there would often be one or two swimming down around the bottom. But I searched all over and I see no signs of the other two, nor no bodies. I suppose if they had died the shrimp and snails would make quick work of them.

Not sure what happened, anything I should keep an eye on? Water parameters are good. Everyone seems happy and healthy and eating well, all 12 cardinal tetras are still accounted for, the remaining 4 danios are eating and active. Twig catfish is doing great, not sure about the cories because they are shy and I can't count them easily but they come out and eat at feeding time at night (as long as I'm not too close).

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

That happened to me 2 times.

Once, a Cardinal Tetra disappeared overnight. I fed them and counted 11. When I got up the next morning, I spent the next hour counting and only counted 10.

Another time, I just lost a baby Cory. Like completely gone.

Again, it was overnight.

3. C

Connor Beckmann New Member Member

Happened to me with neon tetras. I looked for a day only to realize it had become fish jerky behind the dresser

4. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

Just make sure you have a lid and maybe check behind your aquarium stand for bodies....you wouldnt happen to have cats would you?...

5. OP
    OP
    chadcf

We have an outdoor cat who very very rarely comes in, I don't think she would have got them. I do have a dog, it's possible they jumped out and the dog got them. But I do have a lid, there have probably been a few times I forgot to close it though, but it would have been a smaller area in the front and I never saw any fish around the floor on the front. Seems like a long shot, more likely they died somehow and got eaten.

6. cyanicwaters

cyanicwaters New Member Member

This happened to me, I had five long finned gold danios and by the end of one week I had 1 left. I found two dead, but the other two were just gone. No other fish in the tank. I was baffled. Anyways later I added some zebra danios (3) and two were gone in a few days. I gave up trying to find out why and for other reasons I rehomed the leftover danios. Afterwards I decided to clean out my filter and I found the fish. Well the decaying part of one or two.
    Tl;dr check inside your filter.

7. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I've probably found about 3 dried up behind my tank in the past. And once was with a lid ono_O...

8. OP
    OP
    chadcf

I had that problem with shrimp, found one dried up a good 30 feet and three rooms away from the tank! So far have yet to have any fish jump ship and no more shrimp have tried.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Oscar Wilde said: To lose one zebra may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness.