Lost two overnight

zpecialt
Got up this morning and discovered my tiny pleco and tiny albino oscar both passed on... I'm so distraught! I've tested the water relentlessly and everything is near to perfect and the other (slightly bigger) guys seem fine.

I did notice a 3-4 degree temperature spike. It had to have been since we turned our thermostat up with the recent wintry weather. The tank is typically at 78 degrees. Would this have been the cause?

COBettaCouple
It is possible the temp. spike had some effect on them but if it wasn't really fast then I'm not sure it would be enough to kill them. The ammonia and nitrites are 0, with nitrates under 20? you're using a liquid test kit?

Did you notice anything in their recent behavior, particularly eating and pooping? anything look different with their gills or fins? are those 2 the smallest fish in the tank?

zpecialt
Nitrites are 0, nitrates are under 20, very close to zero too actually, they've dropped. Ammonia though is at .5 now and ph at 7.8. Ammonia has gone up since the two passed on and I've been partially changing the water daily but I can't seem to get it to drop down. Argh! I'm so frustrated! I don't want to lose anymore of my little buddies.

COBettaCouple
Did you notice anything in their recent behavior, particularly eating and pooping? anything look different with their gills or fins? are those 2 the smallest fish in the tank? are you using Prime to treat the water? it will help protect them from the toxins.

zpecialt
I'm using Amquel + and the Amquel detoxifier. They were among two of the smaller in the tank. Both between 2 and 3 inches maybe. However there was also a convict and jack dempsey of similar size in the tank. There are two bigger fish (a green terror and a tiger oscar).

It has just been one strange occurrence after another. We got home from work Sunday night, two days before this episode, and discovered the green terror had laid eggs. She must have already been preggers when we picked her up from the fish store last week.

zpecialt
I had noticed some kinda strange behavior from the albino oscar, but the pleco seemed to come out of left field. The oscar hiding out more than usual in a rock and not come to the glass when I walked over to the tank which was abnormal for him.

And come to think of it, the only thing I noticed that did seem kind of odd about the pleco was that he was swimming to the top of the water and then back down and swimming through the middle of the tank. It was not a behavior that I had seen out of him at all previously. Could that have had something to do with the temp spike?

lili70
I think it's about 0.5 amonia. I almost boiled 2 of my fishtanks and the fishes didn't care ... any of them. Those heaters !
I had a minicycle in my 10 gallon with a maximum 0.25 (or less) and my fishes were showing me the finger .... imediately.
L
PS: after 2 weeks I realised that the TopFin filter was the problem ... it was not powerfull enough anymore. Probably got old. I changed it with a AquaClear (so new media) and the problem solved in 3 days. Ha!

zpecialt
Thanks L. I'm still unsure because the ammonia wasn't up until AFTER the fish died. Prior to that it was at 0. I've got two AquaClears on the tank now and the filtration is awesome. The water is crystal clear. I'm just baffled.

COBettaCouple
how long ago did you add the green terror? the pleco's behavior would seem to indicate a problem with either ammonia or not enough aeration in the water (possibly due to the temp spike).

zpecialt
The green terror was added one and a half weeks ago. I've got two AquaClear 50/200's and an 12" bubble wall. Do you think this is enough aeration for a 75g? Provided there are no unusual temp spikes...

COBettaCouple
So, the fish were fine and within days of the green terror mama being added, two died? and cichlids are very protective - is there any chance she killed them or stressed them?

I think I'd do more aeration, but I don't look at the filtration when I consider aeration. It's much better to have more than you need than less and you really don't have to worry about having too much aeration.

lili70
how long ago did you add the green terror? the pleco's behavior would seem to indicate a problem with either ammonia or not enough aeration in the water (possibly due to the temp spike).
Smart and true.
I have a lot of aeration in tanks.
L

zpecialt
I suppose it's possible. I've never really seen her nipping at any of the fish though. Of course when my back is turned... who knows what goes on in there. Party central when no one is disciplining them.

COBettaCouple
Yea, I've heard they earned their name, but I can't be sure that's what happened. It just seems to fit is all.

Is everyone else in the tank doing fine? No more problems?

zpecialt
Everyone in the tank seems well so far. The only new thing I've noticed are some separations in the fins on the oscar still in the tank. She also seems to have had someone *cough*greenterror*cough* nip at the side of her head yesterday. She's about 3" herself and I would put the green terror at maybe 3 1/2". They are the two biggest of the remaining inhabitants at this point.

You mentioned before, CO, about adding more aeration. The bubble wall is hooked up to a Whisper 100 air pump. Would you suggest more than that? I have the valve open so it's a pretty good pressure coming from it... I am just so cautious now and constantly concerned I'm going to look in and found more of my babies gone.

COBettaCouple
The Whisper 100 should be good for your tank and you have both outlets from the pump going to the gang valve (or 1 of them closed)? I wouldn't worry about too much air and it's really a judgement call - if you look at the tank and think you need more bubbles, then you can add another air device and if it looks good, then it is.

It's possible the green terror may need to be put in a separate tank or sold to a LFS if it's too aggressive for the Oscar and other tank mates. I've not kept green terrors, so I don't have any idea how to tone his attitude down a bit but maybe others who've owned them can help you there.

You mentioned before, CO, about adding more aeration. The bubble wall is hooked up to a Whisper 100 air pump. Would you suggest more than that? I have the valve open so it's a pretty good pressure coming from it... I am just so cautious now and constantly concerned I'm going to look in and found more of my babies gone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
johnbirg
Top Bottom