Lost two more today

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tabshire95, Aug 6, 2014.

1. t

tabshire95 Valued Member Member

My school of danios has plummeted in the course of three days. I've lost 5 danios all together. Two today, two yesterday, and one the day before. I have no idea why only these fish are dying. My neon tetras and loaches are al happy and healthy. I finally spotted a white spot on one danios back. I isolated him but don't know what to treat him or the rest of te group for. Only these fish are dying and I don't know why. My ammonia level is back under control. >.25 and everything should e good for the health of the fish. The white spot could be described best as what looks like a little lump of white mold. It looks like a fungus or something. I'll try and get a good picture tonight or tomorrow morning before I head into work. Any ideas are welcome. These guys have been with me since day one. I hate losing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Seems weird because Danios are known to be "hardy" fish. Maybe they could've been sick or something

3. OP
    OP
    t

My only guess is they had some underlying infection or virus and it's just now coming to the surface. It upsets me and I wish I could figure out what's going on. I want to save as many as possible.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Did you get all your fish from the same store?

5. OP
    OP
    t

Yeah I did

6. Mortisha

Mortisha Valued Member Member

I checked your profile, is your nitrate still 60-80? If so that's to high. Have you checked to see if you have 0 nitrite?

7. OP
    OP
    t

I need to change my profile that's really old info. My readings last night. Nitrites zero ammonia <.25 and nitrates 15

8. Mortisha

Phew that's good. Have you figured out why your ammonia spiked?

9. OP
    OP
    t

Absolutely no idea. :(. And it's worrying me. But all the other fish seem fine which is the wildest part.

10. Mortisha

So you started this aquarium June 2014? Sorry to keep asking ? just trying to get more info.

11. OP
    OP
    t

Yeah the very first day of June to be exact. And I've lost one fish from that time to now. I cycled it correctly and everything was perfect. Then al the sudden my zebra danios just started dying. Another died last night. I have 3 left now an started with 8 or 9. There's no physical sign of what's killing them. I did a water change of 25% and cleaned the filter then a few days later they started dropping like flies. My Kuhli loaches and neons are perfect healthy and happy which is the weirdest part. The danios are the hardiest fish in the tank. It's like they have a virus or parasite that is only attacking them.

Yeah I checked the ammonia this morning. It's completely cleared up. 0 ppm. There has to be something going on internally that is killing them. My tank is at 79 degrees. I hve a large airstone and a 2217 eheim filtering it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  12. Mortisha

When you cleaned your filter did you use tank water or water straight from tap? Btw I have the 2217 and love it!

13. OP
    OP
    t

I used tank water to clean all of it!

14. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Are you shaking then adding correct amount of conditioner each time you add water?

15. Mortisha

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish

I hate to state the obvious but something went out of whack if you got an ammonia spike but the danios dying is perplexing cause they are some really hardy fish. The only thing I can say is monitor everything really closely for the next few weeks. I am really sorry you have lost more fish. Danios are the cutest!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks I'm trying my best for em!

17. e

evan47 Valued Member Member

were the danios the first occupants in your tank? if so they could be dying off as a delayed reaction of being used as feeder fish to cycle the tank. if they were exposed to ammonia and nitrites for a prolonged period their lives may have been shortened.

18. OP
    OP
    t

They where the first ones in the tank, so maybe that could've been it. Because all but one Danio has died no with no other fish casualties. I'm looking into rehoming him now because I hate for him to be all alone now, hes trying to swim with the neons now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice