Lost two more fish today suddenly. Help

1. t

tabshire95 Valued Member Member

I came home to find two fish struggling to swim, they really werent swimming. They were floating face to the surface tail to the bottom of the tank and they never turned or corrected. It looked like there back fin just stopped working completely and they where floating straight up and down, I rushed to check the water parameters and they came out 0 nitrites .25 ammonia and nitrates at about 15. I just cleaned the filter and did a water change several days ago I'm not sure what happened. Any ideas?

2. Lyfeoffishing

Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

What king of fish and how old/ long have you had them??

3. OP
    OP
    t

Yeah I should've specified that! They where two zebra danios, I lost two zebras the first water change I did as well but thought they might have died from shock because the water I put in was way too cold to feel like normal water to them. But this time the water change was three days ago. And the Danios where bought at different times but they've been in that tank for two weeks at least. Some almost two months.

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

From what I see on your profile, it looks like there just is not enough beneficial bacteria built-up in the filter yet. I recommend an emergency does of Amquel plus (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons) rather than a water change to avoid even more stress on your fish and it could make them keel over..

While Danios are very tough fish and can be fine with cycling, you do not know what kind of underlying bacterial, parasite, and viral issues these particular individuals may have come into the tank with. The stress of cycling may have brought something to the fore, and it just may not be treatable.

5. OP
    OP
    t

Hopefully I can treat the rest of them in time, these guys are troopers and absolutely full of personality. Should I change the temperature in the tank its at 79 right now. Anything to slow this down until I can go to the store tomorrow and get them medication?

Is amquel plus sort of like Prime conditioner? Because I dosed my tank with that almost instantly after the water change and I saw the tiny bit of ammonia.