Lost two glofish!

lisamorie

I just did a 25% water change and within seven minutes, both glofish died. I checked everything and everything is good, I am at a loss. I killed my first two fish!!

colmandsam

was the temperature of the water you replaced dramatically different from the tanks water?

lisamorie

about 5 degrees different

lisamorie

yup

COBettaCouple

Hmm.. you added the water conditioner to the water before adding it to the tank, right? What water conditioner are you using?

I'd try testing the tap water to see what ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are in the water coming out of the tap.

Did the tank water temp change when you added the new water? What is the water temp?

lisamorie

I did not add the water conditioner to the water before pouring it in the tank-- never have, that has to be it. will not make that mistake again- thanks!

COBettaCouple

Did you add it to the tank pretty quick after adding the new water? If you're not using Prime, I'd recommend that since the tank is most likely not cycled.

swords3711

Never...ever get glofish.
They are genetically enhanced fish. The enhancment is cruel and inhumane.

Remember that in the future, no matter how neat they are, whether or not you know it, in this case you don't, but this is promoting this cruel act.

COBettaCouple

The ethics of DNA manipulation is a subject to debate, but the glofish aren't tortured cruelly like dyed or tatooed fish. I don't have a problem with a store selling them. They have normal livespans and health for a Danio. The ones that you buy in the store are born that way and come from parents that are glofish.

Glofish were born of an experiment in DNA manipulation, adding jellyfish DNA to Danio eggs. About 90% of Glofish are infertile, but 10% breed true and that's what people buy in the stores. They'd be quick snacks in the wild though.

swords3711

Really, I never knew that, I knew that they're colors were artificial so I assumed that the fish were genetically altered in a negative way like that of painted glassfish

COBettaCouple

From what I've learned about them - They were intended to detect pollution by a triggered luminescence, hence the jellyfish DNA, but the glofish was developed as a result. They were originally thought to be 100% sterile so they were sold to bring in money to the project, but they weren't totally sterile and some glofish that had been sold had babies which led to stores having them and breeders, etc.

lisamorie

my ammonia spiked and has been 0 for a few weeks now, so I thought that meant it had cycled?

I don't agree that buying glofish is supporting a cruel act:

"Today's GloFish fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent zebra fish that were originally developed several years ago. Each new GloFish fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and also passes the color along to its offspring."

thanks for your help COBettaCouple!

swords3711

Ya I understand that now. Like I had said, I assumed because they were genetically enhanced, it was the wrong way of gentic enhancement.

Blub

Hi!

Dave is right. Glofish aren't cruel - and never where. Just great for kids!

manjil

Yes gold fish r the most wonderful fish to keep. Bcoz of their lifespawn.

Blub

Yes gold fish r the most wonderful fish to keep. Bcoz of their lifespawn.

Hi!

We are talking about 'Glo-fish', not Goldfish. Goldfish is one word - and Glo-fish are a kind of genetically altered danio.

lyndatu

Sorry about the glo-fish..............I hope things get better soon.......

Hmmm.......glo-fish sounds interesting.........I think I'm going to check it out now.

Good luck!

lisamorie

thanks for that, but it probably is my fault. I guess it happens, these were my first loss and I would love to believe they are my last!

swords3711

Its a new tank, you are bound to lose some.

COBettaCouple

Well, I think everyone here has lost fish to mistakes as we learned about fish keeping. But you're learning and open to learning and you want to do the best for your fish.

Blub

Hi!

That's how I learned. In a new tank - I never have fish loss because I learned how to stop it early on. I am now the proud owner of a 47 gal planted community - soon to have it's own Java moss log and carpet!

lisamorie

ohhh, can you post pics? I would love to see!!!

Blub

ohhh, can you post pics? I would love to see!!!
Hi!

And I'd love to post pics... But I don't actually know how. Heh... I'm just a kid?

Oh yes - and I haven't found any Java moss... I'm going to make a mass purchase soon and give all 3 tanks a nice mossy carpet.

lisamorie

well, when you reply, at the bottom of the page it says "manage attachments." you click that button, and then the next pop up will have buttons that say "browse." you can click the first one and find your pic in your computer. when you are done doing as many as you want, click "upload pics." after all of that, just submit your reply!

Blub

Hi!

I know that - but the fact I don't know how to upload them from the PC does kinda get in my way...

lisamorie

meaning you can't get them from the camera to your computer? or once they are on the pc, you cannot find them with the browse feature?

Blub

Hi!

Camera to Computer.

FL CommunityFans

Hi!

Camera to Computer.

The camera should have/come a usb cord that plugs in to your PC. This allows the transfer of the 'info' from camera -> PC. Depending on the camera you have, you can go to their website and download a 'manager' that will assist you in loading up the photos.

Regarding the glofish, sorry about the loss, gl in the future! My daughter wants some badly now to go in with her platys. She loved the bright colors they were at the store tonight. We talked to the employee on site this evening, and he explained the DNA thing pretty well. They use the dye to test things in water treatment plants he said, or something like that. A portion of the money paid for them goes back in to that research.

Blub

Hi!

Your tank has no space for GloFish, FL community fans. According to the inch per gallon rule; if you had 6 GloFish (The minimum number you can keep them in.) you would have 13inches of fish in a 10gal tank. Because this is your first tank, I recommend you go a 5th undersocked - so treat this tank as if it was an 8gal. I say, get her 2 male guppys (Let her choose what colours - and get different colours.) and your done. Of course, you could buy a 20gal. That would give you space for GloFish, the Platys and 2 guppys. Plus - you could use the 10 gal for a male Betta!

lisamorie

or if he has two guppies, he could just get three glofish and clean it often

Blub

or if he has two guppies, he could just get three glofish and clean it often
Hi!

Overstocking is possible - but for people who are experienced and often only people with a planted tank. (Plants eat extras Nitrate!) If you are new it's a bad idea to overstock.

Similar Aquarium Threads

10 Gallon Tank Fish community
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • Question
Replies
Views
Rick bose