Lost two fish in two days in an established tank? What should I do?

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello guys,
I have an establsihed (for half a year now) 32g tank with live plants and huge filtration. Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20 temperature 81F. It holds

1 angel (young)
10 neon tetras
10 harlequins
2 male mollies
3 corydoras
1 GBR

For 3 days I noticed one cory was not as active as the others and looked a bit paler. Yesterday morning it was swimming upside down, spinning and it died 8 hours later. Also one molly started lying on the bottom while it was a top dweller for 3 months now. Today morning I found it swimming without balance and hiding all the time. Then it died, too. I have way more sensitive fish there and the water parms are good. I mean i have a GBR and neons and I lost a molly and a cory? Apart from a water change is there anything I can do? Was it just a coincidence or something bad's going on?

p.s. The other molly is a little bully during feeding time giving the cories and the other molly (only) a quick chase but nothing more. Could it be the suspect?

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't think a bit of chasing would cause them to die. Have you added any new plants or animals to the tank recently?

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they are bronze cories. But if it was a disease brought by the GBR wouldn't it be the first to be affected also being the most sensitive fish in the tank?

marine590622

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Where are you from? What is your water hardness? When was the last water change before you noticed the problems with the fish.

Was there anything noticablly wrong with them? What had you been feeding them prior to their first symtoms? The addition of the new fish actually seems long enough ago that I do not suspect them of being the problem. The livebearer that was "swimming without ballance" makes me think this is swim bladder related. You have two different species that are being affected. I am thinking it might be diet related.

marine590622

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
neofyt05 said:
they are bronze cories. But if it was a disease brought by the GBR wouldn't it be the first to be affected also being the most sensitive fish in the tank?
Not necessarily. Animals like people can be "carriers" of a disease and yet not be affected by the disease. But I am inclined to think the 1 month since the the introduction of the GBR would argue against the GBR being the vector. GBR - German Blue Ram right. I would argue that the Neons are the most sensitive fish in this tank, but again different species are sensitive to different issues.

Another question are you on city water or on a well? I ask because I have heard of folks who where on city water who could do normal water changes all year long and suddenly the city flushes the pipes which kicks up sediment on the inside of the pipes. If you do water changes within 24 hours of this sort of event heavy metal contaminents in the water supply that are not normally there suddenly kill of someones fish.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I live In Cyprus, an island on the south part of Europe. I am on city water which at of the tap is hard and has a pH of 8 but I have lots of driftwood in the tank and i run peat on my filters.
The only symptom on the fish before they died was that they were a bit bloated, no raised scale or something just a bit like constipation

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom