Lost so many fish and snails :(

Discussion in 'Fish Memorials' started by Magoo, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello

I've had the worst two days ever I'm so heartbroken.

I lost my beautiful girl Liara on Sunday she hasn't been right for days as she wasn't eating fish food but was eating fry so I thought she just didn't like the food.
    My male I lost a few weeks back of gourami disease but thinking back despite him still eating they both kinda went the same way so I'm putting it down to gourami disease RIP my loopy princess you will be missed despite you mostly being the biggest monkey of all.

Then I got in from work yesterday and found most of my endlers dead and my two big beautiful golden apple snails nana and booboo :(

It appears we had a power cut and with it being desperately cold over here that's what did it.
    Thankfully the filter on my smaller edge kicked in again but that is on relatively low anyway and Mordin's did too so my beautiful betta boys Mordin and Henry made it through ok unscathed but my endlers not so much.

I have gone from a strong thriving colony of around 30 ish fish to 5 it's absolutely heartbreaking.

I'm keeping a close eye on the remaining 5 and have my fingers crossed.

Thank you for reading RIP my beautiful fish

Also forgot to add my snail clutch was a dud too

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

AWWWWW
    *GREAT BIG HUG*
    I can honestly say I know how you feel. Don't let anyone tell you to "just get over it." Take your time to mourn. TT-TT

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

That's horrible :/ Just take your time and maybe try something new when/if you are ready to try again. At least they had a good home :)

4. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Oh no hun that is awful! I'm dreading the boiler freezing up again this year.

5. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Thank you it's so mortifying I'm going to have to overhaul the tank again later I keep finding dead baby fish.

The five that are left seem to be acting normal I have three girls and two boys so maybe they will repopulate the tank for me as long as they survive.

Oliver has offered to get me a 55 gallon if I sell the 12 gallon but after what I have gone through I'm really not sure at all. My mind says go for it but my heart is still so very sad.

Just looked over and one of my remaining apple snails is hanging upside down on a leaf which made me giggle the little looney and I swear Mordin and Henry know I am sad because the pair of them have been little mischief makers all morning bless them

6. Eienna

Go for it. Rebuilding should help. In my case, it was all I could do to feel better after my own disaster. And now that it's looking good again, and everybody's healthy, I'm beginning to remember why I got into fishkeeping. A fresh start might do you good.

EDIT: I just thought of something. You end up feeling so helpless, like you are out of control of what could happen. You dread it happening again. But listen. They make large backup batteries that plug into the wall and you plug your appliances into them (such as tank filters and heaters...). A good one can power a desktop computer for at least a half-hour, if not more, and I'm talking about a slightly older computer. They take a lot of power. That might be the answer to it ever happening again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Thank you Eienna I know you went through a nightmare with your tank I'm glad to hear it is going well for you :)

It is just so horrible to think I was responsible for them and they died I suppose I could have done something if I hadn't been at work and had to work late and them go food shopping after work so I was late getting in and jumped into action as soon as I saw the deads. I think I did all I could I'm just so annoyed at myself.

I'm going to go at it again take out the plants and the decorations and give it a thorough clean and I suppose I get to change the look around a bit. Small mercies I suppose.

Also I suppose the remaining ones have a veritable mansion to themselves as I won't be buying anymore fish so we will see how it goes.

Thank you for the support it means allot

8. Eienna

Sometimes....stuff happens. If anything, blame the power people, not yourself. You gotta go to work to feed your little guys! You were being perfectly responsible. That one was beyond your control.

I went through the house not long after and the lighting was the exact same as when my darling pleco died...and I had a flashback to her lying there...I lost it again. And it still hurts sometimes...but it does get better. I think what gave me the most hope was taking the opportunity to dirt my tank. It made me feel that the light at the end of the tunnel was brighter than the one I came in from. I say take the offer of the 55....and in the meantime, I'm sending some love your way.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Magoo,

So hate to hear about your losses. I know it can be tough. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control so try not to beat yourself up over it. I know you're a good fish Mom! :)

RIP

Ken

10. Eienna

You didn't have control of that any more than I had control of the water being bad that day. Had I known, I would have used RO from the start, but I couldn't know. And neither could you. You couldn't know the power would go out that day, and I'd be willing to bet you didn't know about the available battery backups. You can keep it from happening again, though. Did you check out my edit a couple of posts ago?

Listen, if you want to talk about the fishies you lost, or anything like that, hit me up. I know our families get tired of hearing it XD

11. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Thank you :) I appreciate it Oliver has been really sweet he was a bit upset too I was holding up quite well until I wrote this memorial and now I can't stop crying.

I think I might go for the 55 but not yet I want to make sure my survivors are ok but if they die I may just stick to my two bettas.

My feelings are all over the place at the moment I think I should wait and make some decisions when my head is clearer.

You'd think I would be excited about getting a big tank I have wanted one for months hopefully this rollercoaster will be coming to a stop soon

Thank you Ken it means allot

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  12. Eienna

It will take time *snug* go ahead and cry in the meantime. I was crying so much and so hard that I made my sweetie seriously upset. It does pass eventually. I am officially giving you permission to "not be over it" for a while. And...try to take some time just to watch and appreciate the ones you still have, especially your bettas. <3

13. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Thank you Eienna I think it will take some time I was attached to the little maniacs all of my favourites passed including the guppy hybrid batman :(

I've just noticed one of the surviving males showing off to one of surviving females so there is hope :)

14. Eienna

Yes, there is. Take care not to lock away your love for the survivors...it can happen as a defense mechanism after a loss like this. Taking to time to watch, love on and appreciate your survivors will help keep that from happening. <3

Starting to sound like a psychiatrist here but it's the truth.

Haha..little maniacs...sounds about right.

I gotta hit the hay. Early-morning blood draw tomorrow (bleh.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  15. OP
    OP
    Magoo

Thank you for your kind words Dr Eienna ;) I do appreciate it. Sweet dreams :)

16. Eienna

I want to say you too XD Maybe I should just say I hope you get some half-decent sleep tonight.

17. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss :console:

18. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

I'm so sorry about that. That's hard to lose so many fish. Hugs

19. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Sarah, I am heartbroken to hear about your losses. That is one of my biggest fears - a power outage while I am not home. But there is nothing we can really do about it. A backup battery like Eienna said will help immensely in the short term. I know how upset I was to be losing one angel at a time when I was having problems. I couldn't even begin to imagine losing that many at once. Please don't blame yourself. Everyone here on this forum knows what a wonderful fish mummy you are and you have all the support you need here. Big HUGS. I am so sorry :'(.

20. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry Magoo! *hugs*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice