Lost of color on a redtail shark

1. map1957 Initiate Member

My redtail shark continues to go from dark black to light gray, then back to black ( just since the beginning of the new year). He acts fine, eating well, swims normal, I had him about 1 1/2 years. Is he just getting older? I could use some insight to the matter. :)Thanks

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I have never had a RTS, but some others on this website have said that their RTS loses color after lights out, when he is resting. Is this when the color changes happen?

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

When they get stressed they go pale and also at night

4. maybet Initiate Member

I don't know about RTS, but my neons have no color after lights out. They are just pale white, almost clear, their red and blue is completely gone. but it comes back when the lights come on.

MB

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, maybet, I didn't know that could happen. I'll have to watch for that when I get Glowlights. As for the RTS, just watch him carefully to make sure he isn't sick, but it probably is nothing...I think we fishkeepers tend to get a little bit paranoid about fish getting sick. ;)

6. map1957 Initiate Member

Thank you for your comments:) My redtail shark seems to doing well. his color stays faded for about 2 to 3 weeks, then go back to black. It almost like a shedding of color or loss of pigment , once the process is completed him looks wonderful. Thanks again for your help ;)