Lost my RL Pleco, advice for trying again

Nianichole

Hello,

I lost my rubber lip pleco today I had him about 4 and a half weeks. He was one of the first fish I introduced. I did lots of things wrong. I added fish before my cycle was complete because I was impatient (very stupid). That stressed him and he developed Ich, which spread of course.

The tank did complete the cycle a couple weeks ago and has had stable parameters (0/0/0-10). I know I contributed to the loss, but I'm also wondering if he just wasn't healthy to begin with. I never saw him eat, or evidence that he tried anything I put in there for him. I tried algae wafers, sinking pellets, frozen bloodworms, and cucumber. There is also mopani wood in the tank, which I also never saw him on. I ordered Repashy to try with him but he died before it got here

I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure Ich is gone and tank is healthy and stable, and then I want to try again with another small pleco. I'm just looking for some advice on how to be successful this time, what to watch out for, and if there's a specific type that's hardier or more sensitive than others. Would it be beneficial to get a male/female pair, or would it be better just to do one again?

Currently have a 29 gallon planted tank. It's still establishing though so plants need to grow in more.

Thanks!

GusMcGrath202020

Your little rubber lip sacrificed him/herself for good cause which was helping you learn. Where did you get him from?

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Your little rubber lip sacrificed him/herself for good cause which was helping you learn. Where did you get him from?

Thanks for your reply.

I got him from petsmart, which usually isn't too bad in my area. I found a different place to buy fish (local lawn/garden/pet chain) though and they seem a lot healthier and the store even quarantines for several days (I've gone in there and they literally won't let you buy fish). I know that doesn't replace quarantining at home, but I think it's a good indication of how they care for their fish. That's where I'll try and buy next time.

I've gone to a LFS too. They're pretty sizable with a good selection...but they honestly seem kind of sketchy and a lot of their fish seem stressed... They were keeping peacock gudgeons and tetras with pea puffers and all the fish in the tank had shredded fins from the puffers I don't know. Just seemed off.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

LFS are absolutly not always better then then chain stores, it always depends on who works there and who manages the people who work there.

What did you use to treat the ich? bottom feeders are sensitive to medicine, it could have made him week. Try Ich x next time, it is safe for bottom feeders and scaleless fish. Maybe even get a bottle for emergencies.

Most pleco are sexually dimorphic. If you could find an older bristlenose whith bristles and one the same size without bristles, then they should get along, but I only ever saw them once like this for sale.

I have a leopard bristlnose in my tank thats about 5-6 and is the hardiest little fish. He survived me buying him when he was way too small to compete for food with my loaches "or so I thought" You dont always see them eat, but they find scraps, especially after the lights are off.

I was so excited to get a rubber lip pleco a few years ago. He died after a month for no reason I could tell. it happens I guess.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

LFS are absolutly not always better then then chain stores, it always depends on who works there and who manages the people who work there.

What did you use to treat the ich? bottom feeders are sensitive to medicine, it could have made him week. Try Ich x next time, it is safe for bottom feeders and scaleless fish. Maybe even get a bottle for emergencies.

Most pleco are sexually dimorphic. If you could find an older bristlenose whith bristles and one the same size without bristles, then they should get along, but I only ever saw them once like this for sale.

I have a leopard bristlnose in my tank thats about 5-6 and is the hardiest little fish. He survived me buying him when he was way too small to compete for food with my loaches "or so I thought" You dont always see them eat, but they find scraps, especially after the lights are off.

I was so excited to get a rubber lip pleco a few years ago. He died after a month for no reason I could tell. it happens I guess.

Thanks for your reply.

I first tried Fritz FixIck, which is supposed to be more mild than the malachite green treatments and is safe for scaleless and sensitive fish they say, but I didn't see improvement. I did a huge water change and switched over to Ich-X, which seems to have cleared it up.

I think I'm going to go with a bristle nose for the next one.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Advice and Encouragement
Replies
Views
jazzmoine
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kitley
  • Question
15 Gallon Tank Should I try betta again?
Replies
Views
bermese2002
Replies
Views
LowConductivity

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom