Lost My Gbr Male

Craig_84

Hey guys.

Lost my GBR and I am confused to why. My water parameters are perfect as far as nitrate,nitrite and ammonia go. The female Electric blue I have seems to be doing fine. Water temp Is 80-81 ph is 7.4 also. Any suggestions or just weak fish?

40% water Change every week as I know they need decent water quality.

Dunk2

Craig_84 said:
Hey guys.

Lost my GBR and I am confused to why. My water parameters are perfect as far as nitrate,nitrite and ammonia go. The female Electric blue I have seems to be doing fine. Water temp Is 80-81 ph is 7.4 also. Any suggestions or just weak fish?

40% water Change every week as I know they need decent water quality.
How well established is your tank? GBRs can be very sensitive to newer tanks.

Craig_84

Dunk2 said:
How well established is your tank? GBRs can be very sensitive to newer tanks.
Tank has been going since the start of this year

Dunk2

Craig_84 said:
Tank has been going since the start of this year
Certainly seems established enough.

I just got a few GBRs this week. Understanding how sensitive they can be, I’m trying to watch them closely.

Sorry for your loss.

Craig_84

Dunk2 said:
Certainly seems established enough.

I just got a few GBRs this week. Understanding how sensitive they can be, I’m trying to watch them closely.

Sorry for your loss.
Yes I’m not sure why I lost him. He was active, and seemed ok previous day.

I think will try an electric blue male to put in with female and hope they pair as I know it’s not a certainty.

I’m guessing the electric blue are equally as sensitive.

What brand/type of food do you guys feed your rams? I am using tetra pro colour at the moment and I drop a sinking pellet in also as they seem to eat that better.

Dunk2

Craig_84 said:
Yes I’m not sure why I lost him. He was active, and seemed ok previous day.

I think will try an electric blue male to put in with female and hope they pair as I know it’s not a certainty.

I’m guessing the electric blue are equally as sensitive.

What brand/type of food do you guys feed your rams? I am using tetra pro colour at the moment and I drop a sinking pellet in also as they seem to eat that better.
That’s interesting, I went to the LFS intending to get a few electric blues, but they didn’t have them. Then I saw the GBRs and thought they looked awesome.

I’ve only had them for a day, so I’ve only done 1 feeding. They ate a combination of flakes and frozen bloodworms, but clearly preferred the worms!

coralbandit

I feed a slow sinking pellet that is about 1mm or smaller . I also feed freeze dreid black worms along with frozen .
Who else was in with the rams ??
I have been breeding rams for 7 years now and still think EBR are weaker then GBR but all that is dependent on getting good fish to start off.
That may not be as easy as some think ..

Craig_84

coralbandit said:
I feed a slow sinking pellet that is about 1mm or smaller . I also feed freeze dreid black worms along with frozen .
Who else was in with the rams ??
I have been breeding rams for 7 years now and still think EBR are weaker then GBR but all that is dependent on getting good fish to start off.
That may not be as easy as some think ..
I was looking at new life spectrum 1mm pellets. I have cardinal tetras, honey gouramI females and 1 dwarf gouramI female. Which all seem pretty placid. Although the dwarf gouramI is an eating machine !

coralbandit

I would like to see a pic of the female dwarf ..They are more then rare IMO..
I'll bet and admit I am wrong when I see that you have a male dwarf and if so then I will guess he killed the male GBR..
Females are rare and lack color so much most would only get them for breeding ..They sure have no color like a male DG .

Craig_84

C4E9D92C-BBA6-4D59-9235-C55E80EA282E.jpeg Fi
coralbandit said:
coralbandit said:
I'll bet and admit I am wrong when I see that you have a male dwarf and if so then I will guess he killed the male GBR..
Females are rare and lack color so much most would only get them for breeding ..They sure have no color like a male DG .
I’d say female due to the rounded fin. But I may be wrong

Craig_84

9C5E946C-EED7-4F20-B8F3-C7E6F0C64DF1.jpeg
coralbandit said:
That’s the honey

coralbandit

That's a male dg....
Looks a little whipped also missing his feelers??
I will say I believe he killed your ram ..

Craig_84

coralbandit said:
That's a male dg....
Looks a little whipped also missing his feelers??
I will say I believe he killed your ram ..
Think it’s just the the cam angle feelers are both intact. He is very timid, but if you are certain it’s male then lfs will be swapping him for a male ram.

My lfs has a separate tank for females which He was supposed to be!

How can you sex them apart from fins? Just colour? My honey gouramI were easy to spot the difference with fins and faint stripe.

Thanks for the help on that I was confused on the sudden death

Dunk2

Craig_84 said:
Think it’s just the the cam angle feelers are both intact. He is very timid, but if you are certain it’s male then lfs will be swapping him for a male ram.

My lfs has a separate tank for females which He was supposed to be!

How can you sex them apart from fins? Just colour? My honey gouramI were easy to spot the difference with fins and faint stripe.

Thanks for the help on that I was confused on the sudden death
Definitely a male. Much more colorful than the females. Here’s my little guy.

2B163FF8-0E6C-43C7-AFA6-50046158E85C.jpeg

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-DwarfGourami.htm

Craig_84

Dunk2 said:
Definitely a male. Much more colorful than the females. Here’s my little guy.

2B163FF8-0E6C-43C7-AFA6-50046158E85C.jpeg
Nice fish. I would of said yours was male due to pointy dorsal fin. My honeys still have some colour as females but not as vibrant as the males. Never knew the dwarf females were mostly grey.

Learn something every day :)

I will be returning him today for blue ram, With a few choice words to shop as was sold as female.

I will try and take pic of female and male tank to show you guys.

So called Female tank. Which also rams in it I might add.

EBB7E9B9-8BDD-4B83-A669-0D9258A51C29.jpeg 2923247A-1D5B-4AF3-91FE-718D874418CB.jpeg Male tank
735358A5-B160-4C87-B12E-A2AE718B3ADA.jpeg 3D65F0E1-95C9-4142-A713-14C40309D9FC.jpeg coralbandit Dunk2 here are the tanks I was talking about!

Dunk2

Craig_84 said:
So called Female tank. Which also rams in it I might add.

EBB7E9B9-8BDD-4B83-A669-0D9258A51C29.jpeg 2923247A-1D5B-4AF3-91FE-718D874418CB.jpeg Male tank
735358A5-B160-4C87-B12E-A2AE718B3ADA.jpeg 3D65F0E1-95C9-4142-A713-14C40309D9FC.jpeg coralbandit Dunk2 here are the tanks I was talking about!
That doesn’t surprise me. I often see fish mislabeled.

Were you able to find a female?

FinalFins

I would like to share my opinion.

I am aware that some breeders inject hormones into rams, because of the increase of ram popularity, and that makes them extremely weak, and the ram dies within 6 months.

Just my 2 cents.

Craig_84

AFF973F3-C4C5-4315-83DA-38FA5663CFC4.jpeg
Dunk2 said:
That doesn’t surprise me. I often see fish mislabeled.

Were you able to find a female?
No not going to bother with a dg now. I got a male ram instead

FinalFins said:
I would like to share my opinion.

I am aware that some breeders inject hormones into rams, because of the increase of ram popularity, and that makes them extremely weak, and the ram dies within 6 months.

Just my 2 cents.
It’s a possibility also.

Dg is out of the question now. So I will see how it works with just the rams

Bit annoying losing the first male as they had eggs a few times.

coralbandit

Picture 1&2 are hard to tell about the DG sex although they seem pale in color, but neons with rams ? I never thought DG and rams were suitable together but I know neons and rams are not ..Not even close amongst serious keepers ..About 6-10 degrees off actually from the neons high to GBR low ?
Picture 3 and 4 are tanks full of male DG.. Like every one of the DG in pic ..
I do agree many rams are frail or breed poorly.
IMO the steroid thing is hype unless you have farm fish ..Individual breeders just lie ,they don't put extra effort [or money ] into anything ,but fish from the big fish farms definitely have been messed with too much IMO..
I will also say in tanks set up as this store has you won't see any of the DG harass the rams as they will still be preoccupied with each other ,but once removed from their natural rival [their own] a ram looks very similar and surely makes a suitable target for a fish known to be conspecific and aggressive ?
The EBR you got looks good IMO .

Craig_84

coralbandit said:
Picture 1&2 are hard to tell about the DG sex although they seem pale in color, but neons with rams ? I never thought DG and rams were suitable together but I know neons and rams are not ..Not even close amongst serious keepers ..About 6-10 degrees off actually from the neons high to GBR low ?
Picture 3 and 4 are tanks full of male DG.. Like every one of the DG in pic ..
I do agree many rams are frail or breed poorly.
IMO the steroid thing is hype unless you have farm fish ..Individual breeders just lie ,they put extra effort [or money ] into anything ,but fish from the big fish farms definitely have been messed with too much IMO..
I will also say in tanks set up as this store has you won't see any of the DG harass the rams as they will still be preoccupied with each other ,but once removed from their natural rival [their own] a ram looks very similar and surely makes a suitable target for a fish known to be conspecific and aggressive ?
The EBR you got looks good IMO .
I got the EBR from another store where I got my other rams from and just returned DG. Fingers crossed the rams pair... only have a 24 gallon(90l) so don’t think I will get away with more rams

Craig_84

Update: lost the rams. So giving up on that route. Checked my water parameters and everything was perfect as far as I can see with results. So have put it down to poor fish quality. So might of not been the DG after all.

Top Bottom