Lost my first fish today

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by danio_mano, Mar 22, 2010.

1. d

danio_mano New Member Member

everything has been going well, tank cycled and tested using API. And now ive lost a panda corydoras :-(. Not sure of the problem, cant be the water conditions. A guppy has nipped the poor things fins to the bone, my other panda has nice long tail and dorsal fins, this one has a couple of stumps. But i just dont get it, would this kill it or is it for of a shock thing

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Could be, but sometimes it's hard to tell why a fish died. Sometimes, it's just their time. I'm assuming that since you test your water, you know what the parameters should be. Maybe your fish was just sick, look out for anything that could tell you your fish are sick. (ie: white spots, torn or bloody fins, white fuzzy patches, ripped or missing scales, cloudy eyes, red or bloody gills.)
    Just watch out for that stuff.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the hobby....

Get your water quality under control before you look to place blame for the lost fish. According to your aquarium info, your tank is not cycled.

4. OP
    OP
    d

lol my para's are well old on here. Lemon yellow, light baby blue, and varying colours of yellow/orange for nitrates.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ahhh, good. You might want to change that so no one else makes that assumption :)

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry. Maybe it was just a weak fish... I hope you find the cause of the prob, but the other fish were prob eating at the dead body when they found it :(

7. OP
    OP
    d

no hes been poorly for a few days, and had shorter fins then, never minD

8. C

Craig-D Valued Member Member

Let me tell you something: panda coryies are known to be very difficult to keep alive. You will hear numerous complaints about that on here. I've gone though about 10 of them and kept replacing losses with new ones that died as well. I have yet to get more than 4 months out of them. I am now down to the last surviving one and I won't be getting any others. I suggest getting a hardier species of cory. I've replaced the pandas with a bunch of juliis now and have not had a single loss. Lastly, you should always have a minimum of 5 specimens of cory. They are much more secure in a shoal and will waste away if you have only one or two.

9. OP
    OP
    d

ive got 2 jullii n now 1 panda, think ill be replacing it with another julii. They seem to be thriving in my tank, defo my favorite fish at the mo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice