lost my favorite store

Discussion in 'USA Fish Stores' started by brokenwing, Apr 14, 2010.

1. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

So yesterday I tried to call my favorite fish store, and there phones were disconnected. My best friends fiance works across the street and called me this morning, and told me they are closed. GRR:mad: Now i have a petsmart and petco with in a 20 min drive, but i refuse to buy fish from them. So now i will buy fish from members, as well as aquabid. Harpua heads up and i will prolly be looking for some fish shortly lol.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Well that stinks! I won't shop at chain stores either. Even when the fish look good, they never last for me.

I have some nice community fish for sale in the b/s/t forum if that's what you're looking for. :)

3. OP
    OP
    b

brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

ok heading there now, thanks harpua you always come through for me. This site its so much fun to make friends with people that understand the fish hobby. Some of my friends think Im nuts, because i have 2 more tanks coming soon.

4. harpua2002

Oh wow! I didn't know you were getting new tanks! :)

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It's a shame you refuse to buy fish from the chains. Each store operates independantly of the others. My petsmart is better than the LFSs in my area, hands down. They sell a lot of fish, so the department gets more money.

I think it's a catch-22. IME with the chains, the more volume they do, the better shape the fish department is in. So, by not buying fish from them, you are contributing to the problem.....

edit - and that's the pluralistic you, not you specificly :)

6. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

my local petsmarts/petcos/walmarts arent bad either....but buying from members is even better as you can follow the care and get an idea of their fish keeping from just reading some of their posts....goodluck either way and congrats on MTS ;D

7. harpua2002

I was under the impression that the chain stores are told what to get in, and that there is a supplier for each chain that is always used. I haven't seen any evidence that the chains around here operate independently from what corporate HQ hands down to them. I've shopped at many chain stores in the past, even in the recent past, and the experience has been overwhelmingly negative in terms of the quality of livestock. So, I won't shop at them anymore.

Now I'm "the little guy" that is trying to compete with them. I hope the folks around here have the same feeling about supporting local business that I do. :p

8. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

So sorry your favorite fish store is closed down... I hate it when that happens too. Glad we have FL :)

9. OP
    OP
    b

I dont mind buying supplies from a local chain store, but i bought 7 fish over a period of time from petsmart, they are all dead. the fish i got from my local fish store, have been with me for moths, and are thriving. I would support petsmart if there stock was better jaysee, but until it improves, i will not waste any more of my money with them. Harpua I have a 75 gallon tank that I bought 3 months ago. I have been saving money, so i can start a african cichlid tank. I have a 10 gallon divided that will be for 2 bettas, and another empty ten gallon tank that im not sure what do with it. MTS has hit me bad.

10. Jaysee

I mean operates independanly meaning how they treat their fish department. They all don't carry the same fish, though they have the same master list of fish to choose from.

I am all about supporting local business, and if I had a LFS that was TRYING, I would be more inclined to go to them.

11. harpua2002

I hear that! I've seen plenty of LFSs that are terrible as well!

12. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I personally refuse to support "little guy" local businesses:rolleyes:

You KNOW I'm teasing!

Brokenwing-I've gotten fish from Harpua in the past! Her fish are always excellent quality.

Sunday, I'll be doing it as an actual "customer" of Forsyth Aquatics, so I'll make sure I keep you posted;)

13. OP
    OP
    b

thats awesome, i ordered plants from her, so i cant wait to get some fish. Im hunting for female cherry barbs at them moment. I have 4 barbs, 3 males 1 feamle. So u know how that is going.

14. Jaysee

Poor girl :)

15. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

I don't support PetsMart b/c they don't support the hobby. They will not buy fish locally, only from the company supplied list. Most LFS will buy fish from hobbyist (if the fish are good quality) or give store credit. Try that at a chain store. Of course, lately I've run across LFS that will not buy locally b/c they can get cheaper from Asia. BAD BAD BAD. Local fish are better, already adapted to water conditions, no shipping stress, and if the hobbyist is careful about breeding, they are genetically stronger.

Bigger is not always better.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice