Lost My Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by stang7606, Apr 18, 2017.

1. stang7606

stang7606 Valued Member Member

I was out of town over the weekend and we had a 3 day power outage. The power was restored prior to coming back home and everything was back up and running. I immediately checked the water, and the ammonia had spiked to almost 4 using the API test (Just a little lighter than the 4 reading). I immediately changed about 35% of the water and followed with a 25% later in the day and another 35% the next day (yesterday). Everyone still seems fine except I lost one nerite and another is acting fairly bad (falls a lot and only moves a little). My ammonia is still at 1, but I am accumulated Nitrates.
    It is a 13 Gallon with 5 Danios, 1 Guppy, 6 Nerites and 7-9 Yellow Neo Shrimp. Should I add some Tetra Safe Start, do daily water changes and keep monitoring until cycle completes again, or is there something else to try? The tank has only completed cycling for a 2-3 weeks, so I think the bacteria was probably still pretty weak.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do a couple more back to back water changes of 50% each to bring the ammonia down close to 0. What are your pH, nitrite and nitrates?

I'd use Seachem Stability to use instead of TSS+ so you can do water changes while your cycle recovers. Do you have Prime to help protect your fish from the ammonia and nitrite?

3. OP
    OP
    stang7606

Back to back as in same day, same time? I can do that. pH is about 7.6, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 5-10. It is a moderately planted tank too, if that helps. No I don't have prime, I can stop and get both today on the way home.

4. el337

Do 50%, test again and if ammonia is still close to 1, do another one right after.

Rest of the parameters look fine so it's just your ammonia that needs to zero out. Dose Prime for the full tank volume during the water change. It will protect your fish for 24-48 hours.

5. OP
    OP
    stang7606

Thank you, the store was out of prime today, so I placed an order for them on Amazon and did a 50% change. It was closer to .5 after that so I will let it go and check again in the morning. Everyone still seems happy, the one before is even crawling around, I hope it works out with the prime and stability tomorrow. I thought about trying amquel plus but didn't want to mix yet another chemical in the mix.

6. el337

Do you have Amquel+ on hand? You could dose that to protect them from the ammonia.

7. OP
    OP
    stang7606

Yes, I ended up putting in Amquel plus. When I get the prime, I will do another water change and start using it. The only be thing is I have the API kit and I hear Amquel messes the ammonia results up. Thank you again for your help

8. el337

I've never heard that about Amquel.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I used to use Amquel+ and never had any issues with it messing up the API ammonia test. But not that Amquel+ should be used in conjunction with NovAqua+. Amquel+, while having the ability to detox ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and also remove chlorine/chloramines, it does not have the ability to remove heavy metals from the water.

NovAqua+ will remove chlorine/chloramines and heavy metals, but does not detox ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

So if you do not have elevated ammonia, nitrites or nitrates you can use NovAqua+ by itself. But if you have elevated ammonia, nitrites or nitrates than you need to use Amquel+ along with NovAqua+

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice