Lost most of my fish to ich, time to re-stock (??)

gizmoaxolotl

I only have about 5 fish left in my 29g, the tank looks empty. One of my fish is on the verge of death, the ich has seemed to blind him (maybe it was the treatment I'm not sure.) but he's looking terrible so idk how much longer he'll make it. The 2 platies that I have left just lay at the bottom all day. I brought the temperature up to around 87 degrees (very slowly) & I'm seeing no changes with my fish. I want to restock the tank ASAP but I'm sure with this terrible ich there's some preparation that I need to do. Assuming all my fish pass away, what can I do to add new fish?? 100% WC of course & just clean out all the gravel? Should I replace filter media or no?? I really want to try to avoid re-cycling the tank if possible as it's been established for a very long time. Also, for the time that I don't have fish in there, how can I keep the bacteria alive? I do have 3 snails in there (they don't seem affected by the ich or medication) but I don't know if that's enough to keep the cycle up & running & the tank is also quite thoroughly planted.

tonysharks

I would run a round of ich x or some type of ich medication through the tank and wait 2 weeks before adding anything else. There is a high chance that whatever you put in the tank will get ich too from the stress of being put into their new home. Also with the heat in the tank up that high the oxygen will be very low so it may be a good idea to run an air stone in addition to whatever filtration your using. Sorry to hear about your losses but I would take your time try and get the fish you have better and make sure the ich is gone before adding anything else.

FishBoy101

gizmoaxolotl said:
I only have about 5 fish left in my 29g, the tank looks empty. One of my fish is on the verge of death, the ich has seemed to blind him (maybe it was the treatment I'm not sure.) but he's looking terrible so idk how much longer he'll make it. The 2 platies that I have left just lay at the bottom all day. I brought the temperature up to around 87 degrees (very slowly) & I'm seeing no changes with my fish. I want to restock the tank ASAP but I'm sure with this terrible ich there's some preparation that I need to do. Assuming all my fish pass away, what can I do to add new fish?? 100% WC of course & just clean out all the gravel? Should I replace filter media or no?? I really want to try to avoid re-cycling the tank if possible as it's been established for a very long time. Also, for the time that I don't have fish in there, how can I keep the bacteria alive? I do have 3 snails in there (they don't seem affected by the ich or medication) but I don't know if that's enough to keep the cycle up & running & the tank is also quite thoroughly planted.
I would do a 100 percent water change, clean everything and yeah. But after, you would have to re-cycle. Also quarantining would be a very good idea. If you want to treat the platies, do aquarium salt.

gizmoaxolotl

FishBoy101 said:
I would do a 100 percent water change, clean everything and yeah. But after, you would have to re-cycle. Also quarantining would be a very good idea. If you want to treat the platies, do aquarium salt.
I already dosed everybody through ich medication, so I don’t want to do salt on-top of that. I dosed correctly & my fish still died. :/

tonysharks

gizmoaxolotl said:
I already dosed everybody through ich medication, so I don’t want to do salt on-top of that. I dosed correctly & my fish still died. :/
Do the remaining fish still have the white spots on them?

gizmoaxolotl

tonysharks said:
Do the remanding fish still have the white spots on them?
Yea- I’m still seeing white spots on them after a week of treatment (+ heat)!!

tonysharks

You might wanna run another treatment then. Sometimes it takes multiple doses unfortunately

Gone

There are several different methods for treating ich, all of which are effective. However, it can be hard on your fish if you try to combine methods, but it won't treat any faster or more effectively. Choose one method and stick to it. If you dose medication and do the heat method, you're putting twice the stress on your fish, but it's not going to kill the parasite any more quickly.

Most ich cannot reproduce in temperatures above 86 (the heat method). The problem with any of the methods is the ich cannot be killed while it's in the form of white spots. Raising the temperature can speed the life cycle, but you're still not going to be able to kill the parasites until the white spots fall off on their own. That's why you can begin treatment and not see any improvement for several days. The treatment is killing off the invisible free-swimming parasites, but the white spots are cysts that protect the bugs until the white spots fall off.

Even if all your fish are gone, the ich will still be present. You'll need to keep treating the tank for at least 10 days or so. Remember that most of the ich life cycle is invisible, and that's what makes it tricky to cure. Water changes or vacuuming the gravel won't eliminate it. Ich infests the entire tank, and it has been doing its damage for several days once you see the white spots.

gizmoaxolotl

GuppyDazzle said:
There are several different methods for treating ich, all of which are effective. However, it can be hard on your fish if you try to combine methods, but it won't treat any faster or more effectively. Choose one method and stick to it. If you dose medication and do the heat method, you're putting twice the stress on your fish, but it's not going to kill the parasite any more quickly.

Most ich cannot reproduce in temperatures above 86 (the heat method). The problem with any of the methods is the ich cannot be killed while it's in the form of white spots. Raising the temperature can speed the life cycle, but you're still not going to be able to kill the parasites until the white spots fall off on their own. That's why you can begin treatment and not see any improvement for several days. The treatment is killing off the invisible free-swimming parasites, but the white spots are cysts that protect the bugs until the white spots fall off.

Even if all your fish are gone, the ich will still be present. You'll need to keep treating the tank for at least 10 days or so. Remember that most of the ich life cycle is invisible, and that's what makes it tricky to cure. Water changes or vacuuming the gravel won't eliminate it. Ich infests the entire tank, and it has been doing its damage for several days once you see the white spots.
Alright, I’m going to stick to the heat method. No more medication, the tank is at 89 degrees atm and I’m going to leave it there for 2 weeks. Thank you everyone for the help

LadfromLondon

I had my new Green Neons come in witch ich not long ago. I brought the temp up to 29/30C for 2 weeks and then did a 50% W/C. I also noted every other day any changes in behaviour/feeding etc.

They all recovered from it with this method, so I’d recommend it too! I should note I was also using an air stone and a sponge filter by default. Your fish will really appreciate extra oxygenation in the tank l, especially at such high temps.

gizmoaxolotl

LadfromLondon said:
I had my new Green Neons come in witch ich not long ago. I brought the temp up to 29/30C for 2 weeks and then did a 50% W/C. I also noted every other day any changes in behaviour/feeding etc.

They all recovered from it with this method, so I’d recommend it too! I should note I was also using an air stone and a sponge filter by default. Your fish will really appreciate extra oxygenation in the tank l, especially at such high temps.
Okay thank you! I always have air stones in my tanks and I added new plants to it recently so there’s a ton of oxygen for the remaining fish :)

gizmoaxolotl

LadfromLondon said:

Also, thank you for the reassurance! I love hearing that all your neons made it :D

DoubleDutch

Stupid question maybe : but is it Ich you're facing ? Fish shouldn't have to die when you've started treatment on time.

gizmoaxolotl

DoubleDutch said:
Stupid question maybe : but is it Ich you're facing ? Fish shouldn't have to die when you've started treatment on time.
Yes it’s 100% ich!! Not a stupid question at all though. :)

gizmoaxolotl

LadfromLondon said:

Day 6 of heat treatment & look how good the remaining fish are looking! I’m so glad this is working out, I don’t have a before picture but this tetra was COVERED in ich, he looked terrible! I’m glad to see the remaining fish recover :D

Attachments

Top Bottom