Lost cycle in shrimp tank?

leirudan
Hey all, I made the jump and started a new shrimp colony (Orange) so that we could populate our other tanks and maybe trade some. Started with 12 healthy shrimpies (all still alive), 1 was berried when we got her. She's already let her babies go though I have no idea how many, as I've only caught sight of 3 at one time. The tank isn't super heavily planted, I'm trying a java moss wall (and failing, I haven't had much luck with java moss), but the water sprite has taken off since adding the shrimp in, so I assume most the babies are hiding in there. We've had several healthy molts, and healthy appetites, I've got at least 5 newly berried females since we got them a month ago. The tank was fully cycled for about 3 months before rehoming our betta to his 10g once his fins had healed up from fin biting.

The real question I have is, did I just lose my cycle with these guys? I do a very small water change once a week so as not to shock them and parameters have been good. None of them are acting stressed or out of sorts.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5g
How long has the tank been running? 3months
Does it have a filter? Sponge filter
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76F, will be dropping this soon to slow the breeding down. Added the heater due to how cold our house was at the time (60F).
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 12 adult orange cherry shrimp, 1 horned nerite, and unknown number of babies.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once per week
How much of the water do you change? down to 1/2g
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate every other week (sand substrate with a a tablespoon of aragonite for the KH buffer).

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master and GH/KH kits, TDS meter
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (was .5 for the last month during weekly checks)
pH: 7.4
GH: 10
KH: 5
TDS: 300

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? every 2-3 days
How much do you feed your fish? varies, 2 Omega shrimp pellets, Hikari Shrimp (1 pellet per shrimp), blanched broccoli or zucchini (1-2 small pieces). I'm rotating to learn what they like best. So far, broccoli and the omega pellets are the winners.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? See above
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not yet

Broccoli pre-berry and my first berried lady

20210408_182840.jpg

20210409_120747.jpg

One shrimp baby!

20210418_215426.jpg

Full tank - My moss wall is failing

20210418_230250.jpg

JettsPapa
You said " I do a very small water change once a week . . ." Then further down in the template you responded to the question about water changes with " down to 1/2g."

It's been a long time since I was in school, but I'm pretty sure taking a 5 gallon tank down to 1/2 gallon is a 90% water change, which of course isn't a very small water change. Can you please clarify this?

SotaAquatics
Why do you think you lost your cycle with the tank? Test readings all look good. As long as you don't overfeed shrimp, which shouldn't be hard with that small of a starting colony, even if it did go into a mini cycle you really shouldn't have any ammonia build up. Just watch it carefully if you are concerned for the next week and should be fine.

leirudan
JettsPapa said:
You said " I do a very small water change once a week . . ." Then further down in the template you responded to the question about water changes with " down to 1/2g."

It's been a long time since I was in school, but I'm pretty sure taking a 5 gallon tank down to 1/2 gallon is a 90% water change, which of course isn't a very small water change. Can you please clarify this?
I should have clarified, prior to the shrimp I was doing 1 to 1 1/2 gallons to help the betta heal. I'm only changing 1/2g now since moving the shrimp in and adding it slowly via airline tubing siphon.

No ammonia spikes or stressed behavior, so maybe I was worried prematurely. Im still very new to aquriums in general.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom