55 Gallon Tank Lost Cycle in 55 Gallon Tank?

DRich

Member
I currently have an issue with my 55 Gallon Tank parameters are as follows;

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank - 55 Gallon
How long has the tank been running - 8 Weeks
Does it have a filter? - Aquaclear110 and Topfin 75
Does it have a heater? - Hygger 300 Watt
What is the water temperature? - 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? - 9 Whiteskirt Tetras

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? - Yes
What do you use to test the water? - API Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 1.0PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a Day
How much do you feed your fish? - 1 Pinch of Flake Food
What brand of food do you feed your fish? - Omega Tropical Flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? - No

Illness & Symptoms
N/a

Explain your situation in detail. -

This tank was set up on November 18th using a cycled filter from a 10 Gallon Aquarium and I used seachem stability with 4 White skirt Tetras (also from my 10 gallon) I had water readings quickly went to;
Ammonia: 0PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM
pH: 7.2

After 2 weeks ammonia and nitrite stayed at 0 and nitrates 20, I assumed the tank was cycled I added 5 more tetras

On December 15th I drained the tank almost fully as I needed to move it about 6 feet, I didn't have a python at the time(I've since invested in one) so it took me about 3 hours total to drain and refill it using the bucket method. I think with the filters off this long I lost the BB.

After the move the Ammonia spiked to 2PPM, I started doing water changes of 50% daily from December 15th to January 6th (using seachem prime directly in the tank and filling with the python from the tap) to keep the ammonia level around 0.25 - 0.5ppm assuming the bacteria would catch up well, that hasn't happened.

I have since decided to let it run it's course, I did one last 75% water change using seachem prime waited about 35 hours and added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start on January 6th

The parameters for the past week have stayed the exact same testing Daily with feeding once every 2 days (doesn't really make sense to me)

Ammonia: 1.0PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM
pH: 7.2

I'm wondering if it's possible that the seachem prime I'm using is starving out the BB since I was doing daily water changes and prime "locks the ammonia" for 24 hours?
Was my tank every actually cycled?
Did I really lose all the BB in the 3 hours the filters weren't on?

Thanks!
 

A201

Member
As long as the filter media remained wet during the three hour move, likely no damage to the BB.
The (Prime) is not known to have negative effects towards BB.
Newly cycled setups in general aren't stable environments. It will take many months to achieve reliable stability.
Take it slow. Skirt Tetras are durable and they are sturdy enough to get you through this mini cycle.
 

Bunkerchunk

Member
Just curious if you’ve tested your source water. 9 tetras in a 55 gallon tank doesn’t seem to be a very big bio load to me.
 
  • Thread Starter

DRich

Member
A201 said:
As long as the filter media remained wet during the three hour move, likely no damage to the BB.
The (Prime) is not known to have negative effects towards BB.
Newly cycled setups in general aren't stable environments. It will take many months to achieve reliable stability.
Take it slow. Skirt Tetras are durable and they are sturdy enough to get you through this mini cycle.
I only had the PF75 filter on at that time and it drained out most of the way when I turned it off, I'm guessing that was my issue.

Checked today and it looks like the ammonia went down slightly between 0.5 ppm and 1ppm and had a very slight change on the nitrite test.

The fact the ammonia hasn't risen at all in the past week is encouraging! Thanks
Bunkerchunk said:
Just curious if you’ve tested your source water. 9 tetras in a 55 gallon tank doesn’t seem to be a very big bio load to me.
Yes, I have tested the tap water;

PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I was feeding a pinch of flakes twice a day a month ago so maybe I was overfeeding a bit. I switched to once a day for 3 weeks and now once every 2 days since I put the TSS in.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom