Lost Confused...Have no idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxohio88

Reaction score
I have had a saltwater tank setup for about five months now. I have had a clown fish and a yellow tang. Just recently I have noticed that when I turn my light off the yellow tang gets really pale and acts as if he is dying. The clown fish starts to swim kinda funny. Im confused, I feed them, change the water, all the parameters are normal. Its just when I turn off the light. Can anyone help?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What exactly do you mean acting like he's dying?
What are your parameters?

They do change colors when lights are off. They usually fade and have a brownish area around a white horizontal band at night.

OP
W

wxohio88

Reaction score
he has no color, and kina just lays on the botton up against the rock or glass and doesnt swim around at all. When the lights on are he is active swims, eats and appears to be happy. I dont remember the exact numbers from last night for the parameters but they were all good

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Ohio88, it sounds as though everything is ok, I have a Orange spot rabbit fish that when the lights go off everynight he turns almost black and lays under a rock... but he does this every night it is just his thing. I'd keep a eye on them but it doesnt sound like a big deal.

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a black cardinal that does the same thing. I think it's a natural camo thing that fish do when it's nighttime. makes them harder to see against rock or substrate to avoid predators and allow them to go into "sleep" mode.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its normal. Fish do sleep My reef tanks are very active during the day. They're all over the place during the daytime. I have over 15 fish in my 120 and at night I only see my two clowns at the anemone.

The yellow will have a horizontal white band and brownish areas around it and will be slightly pale. Most fish has similar behaviors as well. My foxface rabbitfish turns into a camo colors and my naso turns dark. Its natural

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom