Lost Black Molly Suddenly

1. BettasnMore

BettasnMore Valued Member Member

I came home to find my black molly floating at the top of my tank, lifeless and discolored.

She was in a 55 gallon community, stocked with other livebearers, a couple angels, and some bottom feeders.

Parameters were 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 40ppm nitrate but my pH that is typically 8.2 (it is high but I haven't ever had issues) has jumped between 8.4-8.8.

This tank is 8 months old and the molly was one of the first fish I stocked in it along with another molly that I lost at the beginning. She didnt seem to be acting strange or sick. Anyone know why this happened? 20180409_211608.jpg

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'd say that the PH instability was part of it (a high PH is fine, but it jumping around is not), as well as nitrates are a bit high, although not enough to kill a fish (40 PPM isn't terrible, but I like to keep mine around 20).

Is it possible that she got bullied to death by the male mollies, or that the angelfish got aggressive and attacked her?

How long have you had her? It's possible it was just "old age", as well.

3. OP
    OP
    BettasnMore

BettasnMore Valued Member Member

I agree about the nitrates (I did dose the tank with prime after testing), my ph has been pretty constant in all my tanks for a while so I'm just confused as to why it is up now.

They all seem to live pretty peacefully I've been lucky and my angels have not shown any aggressive behavior. I have one male molly and I had two females but I'm down to one now. I'd had her for 7-8 months. I wondered about old age she just didnt seem like there was anything abnormal.