Lost An Angelfish

Grouch

One of my Angelfish died last week. I bought a pair of black Angelfish about six weeks ago. One was almost silver dollar size (uh...as in currency, not the fish species), and the other about half dollar size. The smaller one just never ate much since we got it, and it seemed to completely lose its appetite after a while despite my many attempts to find something it would eat. There were no signs of bullying or fin nipping from the other fish.

The bigger Angel which is now a little bigger than silver dollar size is doing fine, as are the rest of the fish in the tank.

The Angelfish were best buddies, and my wife wants to get another "friend" for it. My LFS is getting a group of blue Angels in this week, which are all a little bigger than my guy according to my LFS owner. Would it be advisable to get another Angel or leave this one as a single in the tank? He/she is a total clown and attention hog. I'm not sure if another Angelfish would be good for him or not. In one respect I'd love to have a blue Angelfish with my black one as the centerpiece fish, but I'm not sure how another one will affect my guy.

My tank is a 75 gallon planted, so no overstocking concerns.

Thanks.

TexasDomer

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Introducing angels can be hit or miss. You could always try it and rehome one if it doesn't work out.

Grouch

11 Celebes Rainbowfish, four Lemon Tetras & a juvenile Rotkeil Severum that's about 2.5" long. The Rotkeil will be moved to another tank in a couple of weeks. It's a cool little fish (little for now), but I can see problems down the road between the Rotkeil and the Angel in a 4' tank.

Yeah I guess they're typical for cichlids in the hit/miss respect. I didn't expect the amount of personality out of them like I've seen with mine. He/she's a happy go lucky goofball, but if I put another one in there with a nasty streak, it could get ugly quickly. On the other hand, my LFS will gladly take fish back that don't work out well in tanks.

TexasDomer

Sounds like a good plan! I think you should add more lemon tetras too - 8-12 should be fine.

Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully they get along, blue angels are so pretty.

Grouch

I looked at them today. They're not quite fully grown, but they're big, and very pretty. I could see one of them whuppin' my guy good if things don't go well. I'm not in a rush, so I'll sit tight with the single for now (the LFS owner seemed to agree). After I move the Rotkeil I'll take a look at how I'll fill out the rest of the tank.

Regarding the Lemons. I started with 5 and added another 5. There were some bad characters in that second group. They killed one of the other Lemons and damaged another. I returned the two aggressors and the damaged one to the LFS and thought all was well. Four days later two more showed marks and died within a couple days. The remaining four have been fine for the past couple weeks (all females from what I can tell). They act the way I thought Lemons would act. I'm just not sure if there's a little serial killer hiding out in that group of 4 who might take exception to newcomers.

Hey at least my Celebes are behaving well .

TexasDomer

I might still try to add more lemons. Aggression like that is very unusual, and I wouldn't expect it to happen again. It could also have been another fish injuring and weakening them, and the other lemons picking on them after they were already injured.

Grouch

Even had us scratching our heads. At first I thought it might have been one of the Angels or the Rotkeil, but my wife caught them in the act. They looked and acted way different than the original five. Aggressive-hyper, less yellow body color and much thicker black striping on the top and bottom. When he gets some more normal looking ones I'll pick up a couple.

TexasDomer

Can you take a pic of yours now?

Top Bottom