LOST AN ANGELFISH, WORRIED ABOUT ANOTHER

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bert2001, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bert2001

bert2001Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I CAME HOME THIS EVENING TO FIND ONE OF MY ANGELFISH DEAD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK. WHEN I PULLED HIM OUT I NOTICED THAT HIS FORHEAD FROM HIS MOUTH TO HIS DORSAL FIN WAS GREEN AND SMOOTH. I HAVE 2 MORE IN A 75 GAL COMMUNITY TANK WITH 5 BLACK RUBY BARBS, 5 ZEBRA DANIOS, 5 BLACK SKIRT TETRAS AND 2 PEARL GOURAMI. ALL THE OTHER FISH SEEM FINE EXCEPT THE ANGELS WHO SEEM TO BE LETHARGIC AND LOOSING SOME COLOR. I CHECKED TO WATER AND MY NITRITES ARE BETWEEN .5-1 AND THE NITRATES ARE AT 20 AND AMONIA IS .25. I AM GOING TO DO A HUGE WATER CHANGE. I DON'T KNOW IF THESE LEVELS WERE HIGH TO BEGIN WITH OR THEY JUMPED UP THROUGHOUT THE DAY WITH THE DEAD FISH IN THERE.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2. Jimold

JimoldWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    wow, I never heard of their color going green. I guess it could be caused the nitrites and ammonia, but like you suggest, that may have been from the dead one breaking down, although I would think it'd take more time. The only other thing I can think of is if the angel and maybe the gourami or barb got into a fight, but that wouldn't explain the other angels acting strange.
    I would do a water change, but not too huge or radical or that might stress you fish. I would also try using PRIME or AMQUEL PLUS. both will detox the nitrites and ammonia (AMQUEL PLUS will also detox nitrates).
    I guess do the water change, treat your water to get the chem levels down to 0 and just keep your eyes open for any other signs of trouble.

Good luck.

3. COBettaCouple

COBettaCoupleFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    Inactivity, loss of color or appetite, weight loss, skin defects. -- would this describe the angels? (Fish TB)

or Sluggishness, flashing, spider web lesions on skin, color loss, reddened fins, drooping fins, fin damage. ? (Skin Flukes)

or Scratching, small gold to white spots, loss of color, weight loss, difficulty breathing due to gill damage.? (Velvet)

4. OP
    OP
    bert2001

bert2001Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think its any of that, or at least not with the remaining fish. I just fed them and they are all eating. The fish that died did not seem to be thin. I think it was just something wrong with the water and that angel was just sensitive. As soon as I finished the water change the on angel that was looking pale immediately started regaining its color. It was probably just a sick fish. Ever since I got him the other two angels started hanging out together and chased that one out of where ever they were. I probably just got over stressed and when the water started going south he just couldn't take it any more. All seems fine for now, but we shall see.

5. COBettaCouple

COBettaCoupleFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    oh, i see.. yea, he was stressed.. those 2 angels have buddied-up and he was going to be bullied until they killed him. keep an eye on your other fish as there is a chance the angels will turn on them and systemmatically wipe out the other fish, one group at a time.

6. Butterfly

ButterflyFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +118
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A water change is always a good first defense when there is a problem of any kind. those water readings could have been up from the dead fish being in there but do keep a watch on them for the next couple of days. Angels are very sensitive to ammonia and Nitrite.
    Carol