Lost all the fishes due to a Dropsy outbreak

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have lost all my beautiful pets due to Dropsy. Currently the tank holds only one dalmation molly male, who is suffering from the same disease.

It seems like it cannot survive at all. I'm sorry for that.

If I have to add new fishes to the aquarium, should i have to disinfect the tank first. If yes, plz help with proper guidance

Thanks,
Lokesh

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tough break Lokky, I know how much you loved those fish.. if you can run a second airhose to some kind of container, that might work as a temporary quarantine tank for your remaining Molly and if you can get your hands on AZOO Bacteria Treater (it comes in a red plastic bottle), you may have a chance of saving him..bear in mind though, Dropsy is difficult to cure.
As far as disinfecting your tank goes, mix a solution of bleach and water (one part bleach to twenty parts water) , and soak the tank along with all ornaments and plastic plants overnight.. rinse everything thoroughly until you can no longer smell any bleach and then sun-dry for several hours...make sure your tank is resting on a flat even surface and preferably on something soft like a small mat to avoid the bottom panel cracking..and that should do the trick.. good luck.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lokesh that is so sad and soul destroying! I'm very sorry - hope it works outbetter next time.
Ursula

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Richard, If I have to disinfect the tank. do I have to break the Fish tank cycle?

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After you've finished disinfecting and refill your tank, yes you should try to go through the exact same procedure as you did before..bear in mind though, there are books written by fish-raising experts that state clearly there's no need to put a tank through a cycling process, and truth be told, I've never done it with any of my tanks and have healthy fish.

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im sorry for your fish Lok hope you care for your new fsh as you did your last

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sorry about your fish If not thoroughly disinfecting the tank, you could get a new activated carbon in your filter, and perform large and frequent water changes for a while. All this, perhaps, could help eradicate the disease. The important thing is to understand the virus/disease with which you're dealing. Every disease has a "life-span" and certain amount of time needs to pass, and the virus must be without an available host during that time, before the disease dies. So if you have no fish in your tank (or have a healthy fish that doesn't seem affected by the disease), get the new carbon, and perform large and frequent water changes for at least 2 weeks. Most viruses can live up to two weeks on their own in a tank (not being in a fish's body). I'd also keep the temperature increased at this time - higher temperatures kill viruses faster.

On the other hand, once your tank is empty, you could take everything out of the tank and clean it well, and get a new filter cartridge and cycle the tank again. There are different ways to clean a tank (some do it even with bleach), but I personally have always cleaned my tanks with warm/hot tap water and dried them in the sun.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply Isabella..

I've actually cleaned up my tank.. It has been re-setup on the 29th of October..

I'm cycling it fishless..

Hope this time, i'll have a stable aquarium..

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your fish. :'(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom