Lost a guppy in a strange way...

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I can honestly say I have never seen this before...

My daughters male guppy somehow impaled himself onto some plastic grass for the fry to hide in. He did some irreparable damage to himself and I had to put him down to minimize his suffering.

So anyway.. Watch out for plastic grass I guess.. I am still in disbelief that he did what he did.

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with one of my female guppies. I switched from plastic to all live plants. they are better and help with filtration.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
that's awful. plastic's not fantacstic then. stick to the real ones, they bend and don't have sharp bits. I have one fake plant thing and i've wondered about its safety as its seems sharp. you've convinced me. thanks for sharing that experience. tan

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
If I remember right, you can drop a plastic plant into boiling water for a second or 2 and it will soften it up some... but real plants are always better.

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I am glad that it may help some of you... You know the hardest part was trying to explain to my Daughter that we couldn't make him feel better. Really don't want to have to do that again.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gargoyle said:
Well I am glad that it may help some of you... You know the hardest part was trying to explain to my Daughter that we couldn't make him feel better. Really don't want to have to do that again.
Yea, when we have kids, they'll have fish if they want and I don't look forward to that talk either.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
it is hard with kids. I went for the honest route rather than simply replace it with an identical one (like some people do), so he is aware fish don't live forever and do get poorly and occasionally die and its our job to prevent that happening. when our guppies were dropping like flies my 4yr old said " I don't like guppies. they die. I don't want any more of those" so thankfully he agreed to try a diff breed. it is great for them to have a pet though to learn how dependant they are on people and how to care for them and when they get older teach them the nitrogen cycle etc.
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol.. people replace fish with identical ones when they die? I hadn't thought to do that.. i'd go with the honest route too.. that's best. and like you said, they'll learn more about fish, aquaculture and responsibility that way.

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always chose the honest route. I believe it is my responsibility to teach her about life and death. I even went so far as to show her the process of humanly putting the fish down so he would not suffer anymore.

It was sad but she has so many babies in the tank from him that she knows his legacy will live on even if he did not. It was hard for me to do all of that but it was had to be done and I think she is better for it.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
lol.. people replace fish with identical ones when they die?  I hadn't thought to do that.. i'd go with the honest route too.. that's best.  and like you said, they'll learn more about fish, aquaculture and responsibility that way.
yep! I know of various friends animals that were simply replaced (hamsters, rabbits etc), so kids grew up thinking hamsters live for 12 years etc! my mum was always honest with me when pets died and it prepares you as you grow up that nothing lives forever and the fragility (is that even a word?) of life and how we have to do our best to preserve it, but old age comes no matter what you do. my 5yr old understands how to spot a poorly fish and that we give them medicine to make them better, but that medicine doesn't always work.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Gargoyle said:
I've always chose the honest route. I believe it is my responsibility to teach her about life and death. I even went so far as to show her the process of humanly putting the fish down so he would not suffer anymore.

It was sad but she has so many babies in the tank from him that she knows his legacy will live on even if he did not. It was hard for me to do all of that but it was had to be done and I think she is better for it.
my thoughts exactly. it is important for them to understand the whole cirle of life thing and kids are often quickly distracted from the dead fish with new fish or babies!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
amazing.. it's like a plot to a TV sitcom - replacing a dead pet with a duplicate. perhaps art imitates life or some people really have the sense of a sitcom character. : when we have kids and if they chose to have their own fish, we'll teach them to love & care for fish, treat them when they're sick and how to say goodbye to the ones they lose.. like tan (who's probably looking for a good tank to trade for the kids beds now. )

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
a.. like tan (who's probably looking for a good tank to trade for the kids beds now. )
OMG! you can read my mind!!! lol ;D a couple of 6 foot tanks would look great in their rooms! - tan

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well the way I do it is I fill a glass with water... Just regular tap water will do the fish won't live long... Then I added 2 or 3 pieces of ice to the glass of water and wait for it to melt about 50% of the way so it is nice and cold.. Preferably 40 degrees or less..

Then I scoop the fish out of the water with my hands.. Say goodbye and put him in the glass of extremely cold water.. It is over before you can count to 2. It may seem mean to some of you but it's the best way I have found to do it...

Matter of fact I'm getting misty just thinking about it...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think a lot of vets have the solutions to put a fish down with an injection as the vet organizations have guidelines to fish euthanizing. the cost may be an issue and would depend on the vet I guess.

i've read in vet articles that the freezing method slows the fish metabolism so the movement slows and stops, but they feel pain from the crystals that form internally. There seems to be some disagreement over how fast to freeze and I think if I had a way to freeze the fish FAST, like a blast freezer I would to that after putting the fish to sleep first. I have nothing against anyone using that method, but I want to see more scientific information on it from vets for now.

You can also put the fish to sleep with clove oil or other fish anesthetics, then put them down with decapitation or something a lot of fish owners seem to do is put the knocked-out fish in vodka or simply use such a heavy dose of clove oil that it puts the fish down.

You can also google it and get a lot of articles, including vet. papers and such.

New Threads