Lost A Fish While Treating For Ich

Vxx7

I'm almost certain it was the stress of medicating that killed her but I wanted to post a picture in case there's anything I missed. She was a juvenile cherry barb, probably just over half an inch. She died on the last day of treatment after showing lethargy and not eating. She guarded the bottom back corner of the tank for the last two days. She was the smallest of the pack. I used Interpet Anti-White Spot+ (malachite green and formaldehyde) to treat rather than heat/salt.

All other fish are currently showing a touch of lethargy but no signs of ICH.

Attachments

Yorg

Sorry for the loss of your fish. Formaldehyde (formalin) is very strong. It can cause gill damage, among other things. No way to be sure, but I think you're right that the ich treatment may have been the culprit (in the absence of any other changes or issues in your tank).

If you're sure the treatment has dealt with the ich, maybe consider running some carbon in your filter for several days (along with a water change) in case the other fishes are still feeling the effects?

Vxx7

Yorg said:
Sorry for the loss of your fish. Formaldehyde (formalin) is very strong. It can cause gill damage, among other things. No way to be sure, but I think you're right that the ich treatment may have been the culprit (in the absence of any other changes or issues in your tank).

If you're sure the treatment has dealt with the ich, maybe consider running some carbon in your filter for several days (along with a water change) in case the other fishes are still feeling the effects?
There is some lethargy still but they have perked up a lot since the large water change. I'll pick up some more carbon tomorrow to soak up the last of it. I haven't seen any signs of ICH since shortly after the first dose but I'm a firm believer in running the full course. Had they not been so sensitive to salt, I would have gone the natural method.

I'm at the tail end of a cycle (0 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, 20 nitrate) so that could be a thought but I daily dose prime for the nitrites and the levels have got high enough that the prime can't detoxify it. For the days I couldn't do a water change because of the meds, they held steady at 0.5-1ppm and I double dosed on those days.

They're the only fish in the tank at the moment and bullying hasn't been an issue so far. A bit of group follow the leader and the odd male chasing a female for a moment but he gives up pretty easily and none of them seemed to go near her in the last few days.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any glaringly obvious signs of anything else.

Yorg

Good idea to use the Prime -- given that and your numbers, I doubt if the nitrite is doing any direct harm.

Also a good idea to do the complete recommended course of the ich medicine, so that hopefully you don't have to re-treat.

What's the size of your tank? Barbs sometimes behave differently depending upon how much room they have.

Vxx7

Yorg said:
Good idea to use the Prime -- given that and your numbers, I doubt if the nitrite is doing any direct harm.

Also a good idea to do the complete recommended course of the ich medicine, so that hopefully you don't have to re-treat.

What's the size of your tank? Barbs sometimes behave differently depending upon how much room they have.
It's 70 gallons, 4ft long. At the start they went mad up and down the tank but now they do tend to pick a space and stick to it rather than utilise the whole tank. They are the first addition to what I hope to build into a community tank, with the plan to up their numbers once my cycle has stabilised. Obviously I am a bit wary now of adding from the same stock I bought them from since I've realised I purchased them with ICH and I really don't want to put them through treatment again.

Yorg

Understood. Do you have the capability to set up a quarantine tank to keep any new fishes for awhile? If you do, it would be easier to treat anything they come home with in the quarantine tank rather than your main. It's kind of a hassle to keep an extra tank running and cycled, but if you're planning to bring home a lot more in the near future it might be worthwhile to set it up even temporarily.

Vxx7

Yorg said:
Understood. Do you have the capability to set up a quarantine tank to keep any new fishes for awhile? If you do, it would be easier to treat anything they come home with in the quarantine tank rather than your main. It's kind of a hassle to keep an extra tank running and cycled, but if you're planning to bring home a lot more in the near future it might be worthwhile to set it up even temporarily.
I don't unfortunately, I had to sacrifice furniture to house the main tank so I don't have a surface to put it on and keeping it on the floor is out as I have a cat. I'm not planning to make changes to the stock once I've got it so I'm hoping once the main stocking is done, I won't have to add more fish for a few years. I know it's a gamble but at the moment, I have nothing to put even a 5 gallon tank on

Vxx7

Sadly I lost another one this evening.

Attachments

Yorg

Vxx7 said:
Sadly I lost another one this evening.
Sorry you lost another one. Are you done with the course of treatment so that you can run some carbon and perhaps do a large water change?

Vxx7

Yorg said:
Sorry you lost another one. Are you done with the course of treatment so that you can run some carbon and perhaps do a large water change?
The course is run and I did an 80% water change but the carbon I can't get until tomorrow. I think those two weren't able to bounce back from the stress as almost all of them are really active again now, with only two being a bit slower and more reserved than the rest. No more extreme lethargy like those two showed. It's a shame I had to lose some in the attempt to save them all

Yorg

I hope you don't lose any more. The water change was a good idea, and the carbon will undoubtedly take of any remaining formalin.

I know you said you were unable to establish a quarantine tank. I'm guessing the fish store where you get your fish doesn't quarantine either, since they sent you home with a case of ich. When you bring your next acquisitions home, have you considered treating the tank with one of the milder ich treatments such as Kordon's Ich Attack? It might work if you end up bringing home another infestation, and you could always move on to something stronger if you get an outbreak and the milder product doesn't work.

Top Bottom