Lost A Fan After Molting

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by Timmy1027, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Timmy1027

Timmy1027Valued MemberMember

My bamboo shrimp lost one of the fans after molting. My parameters are pH7, KH 4, GH 5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5.

Is that normal that shrimp lost body part during molting? Why? Any approach to prevent this?

Thanks

2. libby2999

libby2999Valued MemberMember

I'm sorry I don't know what a shrimp fan is unless you ment fin, which shrimp dont exactly have. Or are you talking about the tail?

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Have not had them but if they are like anyol other crustacean it will grow back after a few molts. Starting small and growing in size each time it molts till its full size.

4. Sage Exotics

Sage ExoticsValued MemberMember

I’m not sure why this would happen but he might’ve just had a difficult molt and lost a fragile body part in the process. It should grow back fine, do you have any other critters in the tank?

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders. The6 have fans where other shrimp species have feeding claws. They are actually pretty cool. Search it up. I’ve wanted one but I don’t have a tank for one.

As for the question, your shrimp will be fine.
    I had a CPO nip off the feeding claw of one of my ghost shrimp and she survived to the next molt and is alive today.