Lost a Black Skirt

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure what happened but I think it was just a case of the "Petco $0.99 sale".
All others are fine, but did 40% changes in everyone's home again today just in case. Parameters were all zero's nitrates 30 for 10 and 20's for others when I checked. 30 is a bit high for this 10 gallon (usually 20 or under) but we missed a water change this week. Petco tested it when I did my tests before and after and said nitrites were higher than normal but still refunded our dollar(I think my numbers were right but wife went to Petco instead of me).

Anyway 40% on all tanks, added salt to fry tank for Goby,swapped out peat in Neon/Betta tank. Everyone looks happy again.

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i always had problems when getting skirt tetras. Every time i brought them home they would become covered in ich and one would inevitably die. Maybe they are just more susceptible to stress? Once settled though they live forever..I had three and all of them lived to almost 7 years..my last one just died last week.

LifeSAbeach

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It seems to be a common problem. You have to purchase extras to cover the loss of a couple in the first few weeks sadly. I lost two in a short space of time for no obvious reason, but the rest are doing great.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good to know. I have never owned them before, these are the first, but something to keep in mind when I buy them again ty.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I ended up with over a dozen of them at one point. They do tend to drop for no known reason. Of the ones I have, I lost another this past week and could find nothing wrong....although it was the one to be affected by changes first. It was always the first in the tank to get ick, for example.

Good luck with the rest of your blackskirts!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads