Lost 9 fish in less than a month

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Disease' started by jebwm, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jebwmNew MemberMember

I'm extremely confused/discouraged/angry and I need some help. I had 11 fish about a month ago...Diamond goby, two O. clowns, 3 saphire damsels, filefish, blenny, arc-eye hawkfish, foxface, and the latest was a hippo tang. I do weekly 10 gallon water changes, and I also have some inverts (shrimps, snails, crabs) and some random beginner corals, nothing fancy.

It started about 3 weeks ago when I lost the foxface, goby and hawkfish in one weekend. Then it all went down from there. I was battling with some bad ich on the hippo tang and got it taken care of pretty well. Then after a few days it was back in full force. Then all but a few of the fish were losing their tail membranes...I assumed it was fin rot and bought Microbe-Lift Artemiss herbal treatment. I treated for a few days and fish were starting to drop dead. Lost the hippo, the damsels, and the blenny. I've still been treating and I lost a clown today...All I have left is the filefish which seems normal, and 1 clown which is acting a bit weird and lost some color.

I've been talking back and forth with my LFS and they think it's some nasty strain of bacteria that has just wiped out everything. I did a freshwater dip today with the remaining clown so we will see how that plays out.

Please offer up any tips and advice...I've lost nearly $200 in fish and I'm sick of wasting my money.

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Ich particles get buried in your substrate. Make sure to gravel vacuum/siphon all your water changes, especially when sick. Hopefully someone who keeps SW can advise you better.

3. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I am sry for your losses. Okay where any of the fish wild caught? If not what type of water source are you using? What was your last test results? What type of test are you using? Did you QT all the fish before adding them to the main tank? To treat ICH in a SW tank the best way is to slowly increase the garlic(garlic guard or garlic xtreme or fresh smashed up garlic is best) in their food, Dosed with Melafix, if you can get Kordon Fish Protecter, and slowly lower the salinty lvl in your tank to 1.020 and keep it there for 8 weeks do 10% water changes daily with RO water one day and salt mix water( but lower the lvls until you reach 1.020) the next and keep doing that with gravel vacs for 3 weeks.

4. OP
    OP
    j

jebwmNew MemberMember

I have no idea if any of my fish were wild caught. I never ask. I have RODI for water. My last test results before all the fish died didn't raise any red flags. I have been adding xtreme garlic extract to mysis shrimp for my daily feedings with garlic infused dried seaweed a few times a week. I do not QT any fish as I do not have the proper set up or fund to do something like that right now.

Are you saying that lowering the salinity to 1.02 for 8 weeks should take care of any bacteria and/or parasites I may in the tank that killed off all my fish?

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I'm sorry you're having troubles.

I'm going to go out on a limb... any chance you have a mantis in the tank, the spearer kind?

6. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Do have any thing alive in the tank fish, CUC, shrimp, corals, or anemones? If not I would lower the salinity to 1.008 that way everything will be killed in 3 weeks instead of having at 1.020 for 8 weeks and yes it should kill all the ICH spores at 1.020 for 8 weeks with daily 10% water changes and gravel vacs. And if I may suggest see if your LFS can QT your future live stock that way hopefully nothing like this happens again.

7. OP
    OP
    j

jebwmNew MemberMember

Ryan...I don't have a mantis

The only living things left in the tank are a file fish (I lost my remaining clown today), 2 snails, 2 crabs, 2 shrimp (coral banded and cleaner), tuxedo urchin, starfish, feather duster, 2 kenya tree leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps, pom pom xenyia, hammer, and zoathind corals

I'm guessing my options of lower the salinity are limited due to those remaining items.

8. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

You can lower it very slowly my friend did and only loss her smallest zoas her tank is healthily and thriving now. But she also now has the reef store QT everything for 3 weeks before she puts in her tank. Plus she raised her temp from 76 to 78 and that helped too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice