Help Lost 3/6 white clouds after adding plants!

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
added plants last night after 1 mo in qt and peroxide dip. This is the second time I used this method. The first time, no problem. Now I have 2 dead fish, 1 dying (paralyzed and breathing fast) 1 OK and 2 missing. They are white cloud mountain minnows. I have had them since October 2013.

Water test: pH: 6.4 (was 6.7-6.8 before w/c), ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5.
Temp: 70

After the plants were added, all fish disappeared, but I thought they were just hiding behind the new plants. 2 I initially saw near the top of the tank. Filter running with good water movement/disruption.

Before I went to sleep, I fed them and they all came out of hiding and ate normally. Color is good on all fish that I can see.

I have turned off the filter so the fish that can't move isn't getting pushed around.

What should I do?

gijoe0221

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do a water change. There is nothing much you can do now if the peroxide poisoned the fish.

OP
F

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I washed the plants very well in treated water afterward. I've done the same thing before with the same batch of plants and had no problems.

Did a 50% water change as soon as I noticed tthe problem. Readings were done on the pre water change water.

The 2 yellow white clouds seem ok. 2 sparkle eyes are gone, 1 is breathing but not moving and 1 is missing.

I added aquarium salt and raised th water level so there is less water movement for the fish.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd turn the filter back on. You'll do far more harm than good without filtration. Move the sick/injured fish into an isolation net or quarantine tank if you are concerned about it being able to handle the current but a lack of filtration is going to harm ALL of your fish.

OP
F

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Filter is on, I raised the water level so there is less movement for the fish.

Are the above symptoms of hydrogen peroxide poisoning?

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know as I've never had a reason to use peroxide in any of my tanks. Could just as easily have been soap or some other residue on your hands when you were planting.

OP
F

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So...I lost 4/6 fish. The other 2 were a little sluggish and pale. I did the first 50% water change on Monday and another 50% yesterday. They seem a little better and are very fast/skittish. I think that's more because they lost most of their school .

I will watch them for a week and if they're ok, I'll do another water change then get them some more friends.

Teishokue

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Next time, using peroxide you should rinse once with tap water, 2nd rinse with 10x prime water and 3rd rinse with 1x prime. then smell and I like to rinse one last time but this is optional.

OP
F

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Teishokue said:
Next time, using peroxide you should rinse once with tap water, 2nd rinse with 10x prime water and 3rd rinse with 1x prime. then smell and I like to rinse one last time but this is optional.
Thank you for that info. I wonder why this was never explained in any article I found about doing a peroxide dip. They never even said to wash off the peroxide afterward. I washed them on my own volition.

Just to clarify...the 10x Prime would be, normally 1 gallon= 2 drops, so 20 drops of prime for 1 gallon? Also, what should the plants smell like after this process? Can I use treated water instead of tap water for #1?

Also, what does Prime do to hydrogen peroxide?

glowfish

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had the same problem what I did to fix it was I took all of my fish that were left out cleaned my gravel cleand all of my plants and did a 100% water change. then I let it sit for a day with all the gravel in but no plants and after one day I put my fish back into the tank. after I put my fish back my tank I put one plant in then waited a day then put another plant in if a fish got sick I knew that that was what was wrong and took that plant out.

Teishokue

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishnewbie33 said:
Thank you for that info. I wonder why this was never explained in any article I found about doing a peroxide dip. They never even said to wash off the peroxide afterward. I washed them on my own volition.

Just to clarify...the 10x Prime would be, normally 1 gallon= 2 drops, so 20 drops of prime for 1 gallon? Also, what should the plants smell like after this process? Can I use treated water instead of tap water for #1?

Also, what does Prime do to hydrogen peroxide?
Yes 10x the ammount if you did use 2 drops/gallon would be 20 drops per gallon.

hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) can be reduced to H20 and 02 faster if it has a component which takes up the extra hydrogen. thus in this case; prime uses the hydrogen thus taking out hydrogen peroxide from the water. creating more water and declorinated water

OP
F

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks everyone for all your help!

I saw 1 fish last night and he seems ok, but very hyper. I'm guessing that's because most of his school is gone. The other fish I've only seen 1-2x and is very skittish. If all seems ok by next week, I'll add to the school.

New Threads