Lost 2/3 Of Stock, Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by UniqueShark, Apr 15, 2017.

1. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

I'll admit right now, it was a stupid mistake but I added 3 guppies from the pet store to my tank. I had purchased from this store before with no problems. I didn't add their water to my tank, I netted the fish in. Anyways, those 3 and 12 other guppies have died.

My tank has been running for 2 years without adding any fish. The guppies would breed and they'd grow up. I decided to add new blood to the tank. Bad idea.

The symptoms are clamped fins and a shaking and rolling of their body. I've done several water changes to fix the issue. I've treated for protozoan parasites thinking that was the issue. Nothing fixed. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I'd lose 1 a day, and up until 3 days ago, 3 sometimes 4 a day. I'd have some days where none died but looked horrible.

Today removed any that showed any ill symptoms. The ones that looked fine are staying but still being treated. The ill ones went to a 7.5 and will die tomorrow or tonight, based on the pattern.

I've tried aquarium salt.

Water parameters
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:2ppm
    Ph:8.2
    F°:77
    Hardness: 8

Haven't changed my water source or anything. Nitrates are low from the constant water changes.

2. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

What protozoan treatment did you use? Any other chemicals in use? Any elevated breathing rate or labored breathing?

3. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Here's a video of the ill:

I used walmart Kordon rapid-cure,  

Also, I've had 1 die without any symptoms, no clamping. Just woke up one morning to find her dead. She was in hornwort so maybe she got trapped, I don't know. Worth adding though.

4. AvalancheDave

Are those bubbles on the glass in the far corner? It looks like they're doing some surface breathing. Also, not much apparent water movement.

If they're not flashing it's less likely to be a parasite.

5. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

That's the tank i added the sick fish into

6. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Another down[​IMG]
    And another

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Another forum thought maybe it was columnaris. What do you guys think? There's no fungus though

8. AvalancheDave

Columnaris is a primarily external infection so you would most likely see something on the body. There's also a guppy disease caused by Tetrahymena but it also has external symptoms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice