Loss of equilibrium. . . Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishtroy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Ok, I am seriously concerned that I Epeius has an illness but I am not sure what it is or what to do about it.
    His main symtom is a loss of his equilibrium. He cannot swim or sit straight. He lies on his side, or this morning, swims upside down. He can right himself if he really tries but then he gets tired. I do not know what would cause this. His colours are as bright as ever, he has a ton of spunk but his breathing is laboured. I have treated him with Garlic Guard both in his food and his water, the first few days he ate, but last night he refused food. His water is treated with Prime. What has he got? Help please.

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Is he pineconing?

3. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for the speedy response, I fear he is on his last legs.

No, no sign of pineconing his scales are totally flat.

4. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Oooh relief, I was wondering what was coming after MMs post... I'm sorry I'm no help here, but maybe swim bladder? Someone on here had that prob, but gave peas soaked in garlic guard (which I know he hates, but if he's hungry, he'll eat them.) Turned out thier fish was constipated and it was affecting the swim bladder... Their fish was physically sideways at the top of the tank until he pooped and got rid.

Worth a shot, the peas won't harm him any. I usually give 3-4 pellet-sized pieces

5. OP
    OP
    f

Sadly he passed away just minutes after I typed the answer to MM. What he had has me baffled. But thanks everyone for your help. I wish I knew for sure so I could stop it happening again.

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw no, not again, I'm sorry Maddy :'(

7. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<HUGS>
    I'm sorry to hear about that. He was loved until the end.
    RIP handsome

8. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

so sorry to hear of his passing .... you gave him a better life than most anyone could. he was a happy guy when he went, i am sure of it!

9. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry Maddy. You've had such a string of rotten luck lately with your fish, that must be so frustrating for you when you try so hard to do everything right. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice