Loss of 4 honey gouramis

Mar1111

I don't know what happened this past Monday or Tuesday, but each day I lost 2 honeys. There were close to 30 fish in my 40 gallon, including cories, but none of my other fish died, and I still have 1 left, who is healthy. There were no problems, except for the last one the day before she died, was just staying in the lower corner all day, not seemingly in distress. They all looked totally normal, no spots, no fungus, nothing! I had no ammonia or nitrites, and my nitrates were 20. I'd done a 16 gallon WC Sunday and did get into the sand - would I have stirred it up too much? I have an AC 70 HOB and added a sponge filter after the cleaning (I have gravel on one end, which is where I put the filter) to help it clear up faster, and it did a great job within hours. I've stirred it up many times on major cleaning days and no fish ever died. Tuesday I changed out 4 gallons just to have more fresh water in there, after the 3rd and 4th fish passed.

It's too late now, but every time I see just 1 honey in my tank, it bugs me as to what happened. Are they more sensitive to nitrates maybe? I'm usually around 10 and it had climbed to 20, but that's not high. I've had 3 of them for a year and bought 3 more about 4 months ago. They were very healthy and colorful right to the end.

AcornTheBetta

Mar1111 said:
I don't know what happened this past Monday or Tuesday, but each day I lost 2 honeys. There were close to 30 fish in my 40 gallon, including cories, but none of my other fish died, and I still have 1 left, who is healthy. There were no problems, except for the last one the day before she died, was just staying in the lower corner all day, not seemingly in distress. They all looked totally normal, no spots, no fungus, nothing! I had no ammonia or nitrites, and my nitrates were 20. I'd done a 16 gallon WC Sunday and did get into the sand - would I have stirred it up too much? I have an AC 70 HOB and added a sponge filter after the cleaning (I have gravel on one end, which is where I put the filter) to help it clear up faster, and it did a great job within hours. I've stirred it up many times on major cleaning days and no fish ever died. Tuesday I changed out 4 gallons just to have more fresh water in there, after the 3rd and 4th fish passed.

It's too late now, but every time I see just 1 honey in my tank, it bugs me as to what happened. Are they more sensitive to nitrates maybe? I'm usually around 10 and it had climbed to 20, but that's not high. I've had 3 of them for a year and bought 3 more about 4 months ago. They were very healthy and colorful right to the end.
IMO that sounds a bit overstocked. Could it have been from aggression?

KribensisLover1

Did you do anything diff on water change? My fish just got injured and is hopefully going to make it during my water change.

FishBoy101

Mar1111 said:

Amonia, ph? What are all the fish in the tank? When do you normally do water changes?

KribensisLover1

Aggression seems wild that they would all die at once right? I just lost one of my 7 krib babies (well now they’re like 9 months old) out of the blue likely bc he was the weakest. But ALL of these fishes?

Mar1111

This is a planted tank with swords, crypts, small ones I don't know the name of, some floating plants and lots of java moss the shrimp like to hang out in.

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
20 Nitrates
7.6 PH

Water changes: I do a 16-18 gallon WC on weekends, which is when I clean any algae, and through the week I will either do 4 gallons every 2 days or do one 8 gallon mid-week. It keeps the parameters even for me.

Yes I am just a bit overstocked and know that, and I watch the water carefully because of it. I added a large sponge filter extra to the tank to help with that.

There had been no aggression involving the honey gouramis. They're very peaceful, mind their own business, and no one bugged them.

The fish in the tank "before" they died, were:
5 honey gourami (now 1)
6 skirts (3 black, 3 white)
4 pristella tetras
5 neon tetras
3 amber tetras
4 golden zebras
7 cory cats (5 albino and 2 bronze)
3 mystery snails
12+ assorted shrimp (red cherry, ghost and amano) and don't really know the exact amount because a few babies have survived from the first 2 kinds)

So right now I have a total of 30 fish, then the snails and shrimp. Everything is doing great, as they were before these sudden and weird deaths of fish I've had a long time.

I feel like something happened when I cleaned the tank - there was a lot of algae and I cleaned it by hand, also sucked up the sand alot. Maybe I stirred up some toxins in it, but it's weird that only the gouramis died and nothing else. I do a deep clean in the sand every 3 or 4 weeks, not every week. Otherwise it starts smelling bad, and there's been no bad smell.

I don't know, I hear of people having mysterious deaths and am adding this to the list. One 1 or 2 fish die that you've had a year or more, maybe you can say it was age, but not 4... then 1 doesn't die. Things that make you say "hmmm".

I bred a pair of peppered cories in a separate 10 gallon, and keep the adults in a 10 gallon guppy tank. On Saturday at least 30 cory fry will turn 3 weeks. When I can get rid of all of those, I'll be spreading some fish out to that 10 gallon. I want to keep a few, sell or give away the rest.

Mar1111

Follow-up:
I came home from from work yesterday to find a shrimp dragging my last remaining gourami around, 9 days after the last death. He was fine in the morning. I checked, and again, no ammonia, no nitrites, but the nitrates had gotten very close to being red in the test. Still orange but leaning red, so I'd guess it was 30. This week has been a blur, there is construction on our house and I just went back to work last week after over 6 months. I can't remember if I did a WC at all after Sunday, but I did change out 17 gallons last night after seeing the increased nitrates. I put a clean charcoal pack in my HOB and gave the media a rinse in aquarium water, cleaned out a little gunk from the filter, put a new pre-filter sponge on, cleaned out some algae, and it's great there now. I'll check the nitrates tomorrow and hope they're down. I know nitrates even at 40 will not kill fish fast, but maybe the levels were just higher than my gouramis liked - everything else is fine. I have too many fish, I know that's my problem. I combined what I had in my 20 with what was in the 40 so I could start a guppy tank. And we all know, guppy tanks get crowded fast. :/ Until I can get some of these out, I'll be sure to do more WC than I was. My nitrates were never over 10 before.

RomanNoodles96

Mar1111 said:
Follow-up:
I came home from from work yesterday to find a shrimp dragging my last remaining gourami around, 9 days after the last death. He was fine in the morning. I checked, and again, no ammonia, no nitrites, but the nitrates had gotten very close to being red in the test. Still orange but leaning red, so I'd guess it was 30. This week has been a blur, there is construction on our house and I just went back to work last week after over 6 months. I can't remember if I did a WC at all after Sunday, but I did change out 17 gallons last night after seeing the increased nitrates. I put a clean charcoal pack in my HOB and gave the media a rinse in aquarium water, cleaned out a little gunk from the filter, put a new pre-filter sponge on, cleaned out some algae, and it's great there now. I'll check the nitrates tomorrow and hope they're down. I know nitrates even at 40 will not kill fish fast, but maybe the levels were just higher than my gouramis liked - everything else is fine. I have too many fish, I know that's my problem. I combined what I had in my 20 with what was in the 40 so I could start a guppy tank. And we all know, guppy tanks get crowded fast. :/ Until I can get some of these out, I'll be sure to do more WC than I was. My nitrates were never over 10 before.
I doubt 40 nitrates killed a gourami. If anything your shrimp would start to die before anything due to nitrates. This is very weird how that has happened and there has been a decent amount of threads about people's honey gouramis dying/getting sick lately. Hopefully whatever happened doesn't affect your other fish.

julien0101

You overcrowded your tank, but kept up to maintenance. I doubt that the water quality killed it.

Maybe sudden fighting and aggression idk

Top Bottom